Rhinegeist Panther Clone (Robust Porter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZebulonBrewer

Reaction score
So if you live in the Dayton/Cincinnati area, you may know that a lot of breweries have started popping up in the last few years. Mad Tree, Eudora, Toxic, Warped Wing, Rivertown, and about 5 others including Rhinegeist. I've had Rhinegeist's Porter a few times, and it is just great. It is pitch black, so smooth it's almost creamy, and lots of smooth chocolate.

Below is their description of it:

huf3Mdz.png

So I thought, why not try and make a clone! They list their malts (although 'Crystal' is just soooo descriptive ;) ) and their hops. I've never made a straight-up porter, though I have made a pumpkin porter kit, a breakfast stout, and a handful of browns, with decent success. Below is what I've drawn up. It is a partial mash and I get about 72% efficiency with stovetop BIAB.

fC9VuUK.png

I'd like some feedback if what I have would hit the description there. I'm hesitant on using both chocolate malts (one or the other may be more suited), and I picked Crystal 120 so I could keep my total adjunct percentage low to still hit a nice SRM number.

Thanks! :mug:

For small shops, its worth reaching out to them, even with your draft recipe, and ask for input.

I've had a couple of their beers but not their porter, so I can't help with the specifics. Although, my kneejerk reaction is you may not have enough crystal, and maybe too much chocolate, and c120 may be too dark for the purpose.

What about a pound of Crystal 80? And which chocolate should I drop. I'd think I'd go with the pale chocolate for a smoother flavor.

Its hard to say without tasting that beer but for a regular porter I'd start around 8% crystal and 6% chocolate. Both chocolates sound tasty to me.

That looks tasty to me, although it's not "pitch black"-but that's probably for the best in a porter. Never used the pale chocolate before.

Weezy, I took your advice and cut the crystal to 80 SRM and upped that to a pound and upped one chocolate and eliminated the other. What does everyone think? I'm also thinking of going 1968 yeast, but either way, it'll be a high flocculation english strain.

yHVgWrm.png

I actually haven't made it. A few weeks before this post last year I moved and it took longer than expected to get up and running again. I'm working through some Bee Cave Robust Porter at the moment, but as that is running out I think I'll give my recipe a try.

Have you made it yet, or are you still planning it all out? Be sure to adjust it to the specifics of your system.

Happy Brewing :mug:

I live in the area to all those breweries. That porter is one of their best.

Madtree thundersnow is really good as well. I am usually an IPA drinker so Citra High and Galaxy high are a go to. Rhinegeist Sabre tooth tiger is great too.

I just bottled today. Taste is good but not right on. Maybe after some carbonation it will ring truer. Also, Glacier was a good guess. I talked to a guy who knows a guy at Rhinegeist and he said they did use Glacier.

I just bottled today. Taste is good but not right on. Maybe after some carbonation it will ring truer. Also, Glacier was a good guess. I talked to a guy who knows a guy at Rhinegeist and he said they did use Glacier.

I'll be very interested to hear how it compares in a few weeks once it's carbed.

I just tried it today and it turn our great! I did modify your recipe slightly because my brew supply place didn't have liquid Maris Otter. Here is what I used.

3 lb Maris Otter Crisp (grains)
1 lb Caramel/Crystal 80L (grains)
12 oz Pale Chocolate (grains)
8 oz Black (grains)
5 lb Pale Malt LME

1 oz Magnum 60 min
1 oz Glacier 20 min

I just tried it today and it turn our great! I did modify your recipe slightly because my brew supply place didn't have liquid Maris Otter. Here is what I used.

3 lb Maris Otter Crisp (grains)
1 lb Caramel/Crystal 80L (grains)
12 oz Pale Chocolate (grains)
8 oz Black (grains)
5 lb Pale Malt LME

1 oz Magnum 60 min
1 oz Magnum 20 min

Looks excellent. How's the magnum do as a flavor addition? I've never done it myself, but I use it a lot for bittering so I usually have some on hand.

Looks excellent. How's the magnum do as a flavor addition? I've never done it myself, but I use it a lot for bittering so I usually have some on hand.

I typed my recipe wrong. I used Glacier as the bittering hops. However, I use magnum in a lot of my other recipes. It's a pretty good all around hop.

Here is the recipe. Ended up with 5.5 gal @ 1.069 OG (72%) -- (numbers are for 5.25 @ 70% efficiency)

Water was RO with ~70ppm Calcium and Sulfate, each. No Bicarbonate added.

Malt
9-lbs -- Maris Otter
1-lbs -- Flaked Oats
12-oz -- Caramel 60
8-oz -- Black Patent Malt
4-oz -- Pale Chocolate Malt
Hops
0.63-oz Warrier (17.2%AA) -- 60min
0.5-oz Glacier (5.6%AA) -- 20min
0.5-oz Glacier (5.6%AA) -- 5min
Yeast
S-04