Rewire Chugger Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thekraken

Reaction score
Can a chugger pump with a 120v plug easily be rewired for 240v?

Meh, if it's not as easy as replacing the power plug then I wont bother. Thanks for the help fellas.

You know, if you have 240v power, you also have 120v power.

Hot to Hot gives 240v while Hot to Ground gives 120v. Just tap into one of the Hot lines and you should be able to run the pump.

You know, if you have 240v power, you also have 120v power.

Hot to Hot gives 240v while Hot to Ground gives 120v. Just tap into one of the Hot lines and you should be able to run the pump.
I agree with this only if you are referring to wiring from hot to neutral, not ground. Not all electrical configurations provide split phase 240 (my sprinkler pump in the garage for instance! Won't go down that rant road about how much that sucked trying to install a120v sprinkler controller with no neutral [emoji3])

Considering this is most likely for pumping liquids, I would be cautious about piggybacking on the ground. Hopefully there is a neutral that you can tap in to though and do as he said.

Cheers!

I agree with this only if you are referring to wiring from hot to neutral, not ground.

Well, technically you are correct. However, neutral and ground only differ in where they ultimately connect to ground. They are otherwise very similar. But since we often rely on GFI on brewing equipment, its important to connect to the neutral in that case.

I actually do have all four conductors at the moment. But I'm working on a mobile brew stand project, it just would have been more convenient if I could wire the pump sans neutral, don't really want to use the ground for that. It's no big deal.

The other (much much less elegant and bulky) solution is to use a 2:1 transformer off the 240 and just ground the secondary. You could use that to power the pump along with any other 120 accessories you have, if you have any.

The obvious implication is xfmr rating and heat generation... I think the pumps generally draw 2amps, so you're looking at a 250va minimum would any oversizing... 300 to be safe.

I'd try and make the neutral work if at all possible... I love the hobby for all of the ways to solve many problems [emoji3]

Cheers

Back