Revolutionary EPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChillWill

Reaction score
All-Grain - Revolutionary EPA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-04
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.043
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 39
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 65
Tasting Notes: Sweet, hoppy

Wanted a English pale ale with an American influence (such as different malts and a few sneaky chinook hops); hence the name... i'm not creative so don't judge me on that. This is only my second brew and I'm pleased with it!

So here goes (apologies for strange amounts, had to convert from UK to US gallons):

Marris Otter: 8lb
Aromatic: 0.45lb
Crystal: 0.55lb
Special B: 0.45lb

Hops:
Chinook: 0.25oz 60min
Goldings: 1.2oz 60min
Goldings: 1.2oz 10min
Goldings: 1.2oz 5 day dry hop
Chinook: 0.25oz 5 day dry hop

Protafloc / whirlfloc added 15min

Mash 154F 75mins
Batch sparge 180F

Currently in bottles but tasting whilst bottling was good! Sweet with a good amount of hops but not IPA bitterness, should be a very enjoyable beer! Looks quite clear as well in bottles. Will add tasting notes in a week or two.

I'm only getting a measly 70% efficiency with my setup by the way. I think that's mostly due to not having a boiling pot big enough to cope with the evapouration... which means I can't sparge as much as I'd like unless I use a second, smaller pot which I'll probably be doing in the future until I sort myself out with a better setup.

I should also add I cheated with fermentation... it dropped to 1.018 after 3 days with a lot of flocculation so I put it into secondary with dry hops for 5 days where it hit target FG.

Naughty I know... but wanted it ready for when my brother gets back from Afghanistan for a 2 week R&R and it was coming along nicely so thought I'd risk it. Is getting a full 2 weeks in bottles though.

Just tried a test bottle a few days early... i'm not this impatient most of the time (honest) :D

Not too bad! Nice and clear although it had a little chill haze as it was in cold basement for a couple of days to settle the last of the yeast. Expect it to be better after another week.

Good mouthfeel, starts off on the sweet side and then the bitterness takes over (although not agressively). Not as hoppy as I'd have liked and maybe a little too bitter for what I was aiming for. Think an adjustment to hop schedule should make it a nice easy drinker (bring some of the early adition toward the end for a bit more flavour). Maybe change the IBU from 40 down to 35.

Anyway, I think it's better than quite a lot of the generic bitters/pale ales you can get from supermarkets that cost 3 times as much! (Worked it out this cost approx £0.50 in ingredients).

Recipe caught my eye cause I brewed the an ESB with the same concept in mind, brewed 3-18-11. The whole UK/America theme. It'll be interesting to compare some notes. I'm on my phone so i'll post more details when I get to a computer.

Yeast: WYeast 1275 Thames Valley Ale
Yeast Starter: Yes, 2000 ml
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.3
Mash: Single Step, Infusion, Fly Sparge
Saccharification Rest Temp: 152 Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Original Gravity: 1.052 measured
Final Gravity: 1.012 anticipated
IBU: 41.1
Color: 11 SRM/ 22 EBC
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 65

Malt

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable °L
73% 7 8 Pale Malt (Maris Otter) 3
5% 0 8 Candi Sugar, Clear 0
5% 0 8 Briess CaraBrown 55
5% 0 8 Briess Crystal Malt 40L 40
4% 0 6 Flaked Barley 2
2% 0 4 Cara-Pils/Dextrine 1
2% 0 4 Biscuit Malt 23
2% 0 4 Victory Malt 25
1% 0 2 Special B Malt 118

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Cascade Whole 5.00 15.4 60 min.
0.75 oz. Cascade Whole 5.00 3.1 10 min.
0.50 oz. Cascade Whole 5.00 1.7 1 min.
0.75 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.70 16.0 60 min.
0.75 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.70 3.2 10 min.
0.50 oz. Willamette Pellet 4.70 1.8 1 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.50 Oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) Other 28 Days (bottle)
2.00 Oz Isinglass, liquid Fining 4 Days (fermenter)
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min. (boil)
0.50 Tsp Wyeast Nutrient Fining 10 Min. (boil)
1.00 g Gypsum salt Mash
2.00 g Calcium Chloride salt Mash
1.00 g Epsom Salt salt Mash

Hi FL brewer! Yours looks a bit more complicated than mine! Although living in Sheffield (UK) the water doesn't need much adjustment here.

I've brewed this again recently (bottled yesterday). I did a slightly lower mash temp and reduced some of the specialty malts and added a little wheat malt as I felt it was a bit thin originally (but sweet, hence the lower mash).

Anyway, I used a pack of S-04 that I had opened and half used 2 months ago (had been taped up in the fridge); wasn't sure if it'd still be ok but it was and resulted in 83% attenuation! More than I've been getting from the likes of Nottingham yeast and the same as I got from WLP550. It took it down to 1.007 from 1.040, had a bit of a back log and it sat in primary for two weeks, then 1 week in secondary including a few days in the cellar to clear it.

I also added more aroma hops and used some more chinook (including a first wort addition) and reduced some of the goldings.

Anyway, hoping it's an improvement... then again, the first batch was pretty good and didn't last too long. People who tried it said they'd be happy if they got served a pint of it in the pub. Only a few issues though, carbed too low (think 2.2 vol) so gone for upper end of the scale for an APA of 2.8 vol CO2 in bottles.

I like the look of the Cascade:Willamette combo.

A local brewery which I've been doing a few shifts at does a pale ale using only Willamette and it's won all sorts of awards & medals.

Hey thanks, I was originally pretty excited someone else had the same idea as myself. I didn't want to do an ESB clone type with typical EKG, Fuggle, etc hop profile. (Although, they are some of my favorite hops, and I tend to us them in quite a bit in my porters) I grow hops at home so I had some Cascade to use up. Like you, I think I'm going to find out, when this beer is ready to drink, that I want to lower the IBU's to mid 30's.

I also switched to some new equipment, I upgraded to a barley crusher from a smaller mill. It dropped my efficiency down to 75% from 80%, and my OG was originally calculated to be closer to 1.056.

I just like the effect Gypsum has on highlighting hop character. The other 2 salts provide some balance.

Your 2.2 vols I think is pretty accurate to style, low ish. Like you I'm thinking I'll aim a little higher, 2.5 ish. I like most of my beers with a medium amount of carbonation, I just don't want so much carbonation than it overpowers the unique balances between the malt/hop/yeast character.

How clear was the final beer(s)?

Looking forward to this beer finishing up so we can compare versions, It'll be a huge benefit in tweaking the recipe later on.

Here is my modified recipe, shall probably create quite a different beer. Clarity in the first wasn't the best due to rushing it through, alhough what I've just bottled looks pretty clear so far and there wasn't a great deal of mess at the bottom of my secondary (I guess leaving it on the yeast for so long helped clear it out a bit more).

I suppose mine might be more in the ESB with bitterness with 38IBUs? The bitterness calms after 4 weeks or so in bottles so I guess it's just down to how quickly you want to be drinking it. I also noticed in my first batch the carbonation and body was much, much better after 3 weeks than it was after two in bottles.

Yeast: S-04
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.040
Final Gravity: 1.007
IBU: 38
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 @ 68-70

Marris Otter: 7.9lb
Aromatic: 0.2lb
Crystal: 0.4lb
Special B: 0.4lb
Wheat Malt: 0.4lb

Hops:
Chinook 12.4%: 0.4oz fisrt wort
Chinook 12.4%: 0.2oz 60min
Goldings 4.8%: 0.8oz 10min
Goldings 4.8%: 0.2oz 2min
Chinook 12.4%: 0.5oz 2min

Dry hop with 0.7oz of each for 7 days

Protafloc / whirlfloc added 15min

Mash 150F 60mins
Batch sparge 180F

I'll let you know how it turns out! My only concern is the low FG. The brewery I've been working at uses a mash of around 148F and often gets FG 1.010, but obviously when I tried doing closer to that, my yeast got a bit carried away with itself.

Ah that's true I wasn't even paying attention, your's is in the Special/Best/Premium Bitter criteria with the lower OG, whereas mine's more of an ESB. It'll still be good to compare.

I figured I was going to have to let this beer condition in the bottle for a good 2 months. Hopefully it will allow the flavors to properly develop.

What kind of brewery is it?

It's Kelham island brewery; a fairly standard English brewery. Been going for quite a while now (20 years I believe?). All cask conditioned with a small amount being bottled offsite. 30 barrel brewing capacity. They don't do many experimental brews apart from a collaboration with Brooklyn brewery a few years ago, maybe I could convince them to do this if it turns out well.

Wow that's cool though, my brief apprenticeship experience helped my brewing out a bunch. Just being able to relate and compare systems/scale makes ya think about things differently.

We have a bunch of 'safe' breweries around my area too, the exception being ommegang. Pretty exceptional beer, even thought I'm not a huge fan of belgian beers.

You brew there?
~ around here the breweries are afraid to be bold. They think safe = higher sales/customer loyalty, which its just the opposite. Customers are either unimpressed or they get bored. The place i was at actually told me, 'we don't brew stouts, they don't sell'. I laughed, what a joke.

Ah, I see you're from the finger lakes. I lived fairly close by in Rochester for a year (2007-2008) on an internship at a craft ale bar so am familiar with Ommegang, I really like their abbey ale (which I'll be making something similar to for my next batch) even though I'm not too big on Belgian beer either, although I guess making it for myself may give me a better appreciation!

I've brewed there a couple of times, although depends what you class as 'brewing'. I've done the mash in, sparge and hops additions under supervision. I usually end up doing stuff like weighing and breaking up the hops, filling the grist shoot for the next day, helping fill casks, cleaning the mash tun etc. Last week I got to skim yeast from the fermenter which was interesting... apparently they've been using the same yeast for 20 years, acid washing after every 10 uses. Puts into perspective how many people on here are concerned with pitching rates etc, where they just skim it off, weigh it and if it looks about right they'll just chuck it in the next batch with a some nutrient and have perfect fermentation everytime. They do try and make sure yeast from fermenter A is only used in that fermenter though for example, and not use yeast that has fermented a stout in a pale ale though.

The craft beer scene is still in infant stage in the UK, probably akin to the 90's for the states. The brewery I've been working at is fairly simple but they do a decent range from pale ales to bitters, stouts, porters & red ales amongst seasonal beers but rarely move from the 3.5%-5.5% range. That's ok though as they do them well and are well regarded locally. They're actually opening up another brewery not far away to help cope with demand and maybe start doing some more abstract beers (as it'll be in the grounds of a country estate where there is also a school for artisan food & drink operating). Hopefully when that happens they'll have a full time job for me!

I hate to use the cliché term 'it's a small world', but it definitely fits. I know the bar you were at, OT on Alexander? Heck, there's a chance we've crossed paths. I was probably in there a half dozen times in 2007-2008, although I can't say I really know anyone there. You know the brewery I was at, it is the one that produced the cask ales for the OT.

We've shared similar duties at our respective breweries. It was great just to become acquainted with the larger equipment.

I enjoy Ommegang's Rare Vos, Chocolate Indulgence, and they came out with a Belgian Scottish Ale that was damn good if you can get your hands on it. Cheers!

Yeah it was the OT. We got casks from a few places. Hmm, was it Roosterfish? Iirc, they only made them for us. Chocolate indulgence was good! I used it in a beer and dessert pairing I ran. Had to be served fairly warm to avoid a metallic taste that was present below 60f. I brought a bottle of 3 philosophers back to the UK with me.

We also got casks from custom brewcraft, rohrbachs, flying bison, a brewery in Syracuse (middle-ages or something like that). We even managed to score two casks of allagash curieux at one point, we stored one for 6 months and it aged really well.

Or was it ithaca you worked at? I think they were from the finger lakes weren't they?

I didn't realize all those places did casks, it was CB. When i was there the good people from OT, brought down pumpkin and other ingredients for a pumpkin ale, never got a chance to try it though.

Ah, CB's. Did Robyn Kraft work there when you were there? (well, she worked as a representative, we used to hang out together in the summer).

CB's were ok, but hardly exceptional and not up to the standards of some of the other breweries in the area. Recently though a brewer who used to work at Rohrbachs brewed a beer for the OT's 20th anniversary (an IPA) and someone sent a bottle over here and I reckon it was amongst the best IPA's I've ever tried. From what I've heard it was an amarillo / citra blend around 8% which I've based a batch on a few weeks ago, although added some Simcoe and only aimed for 6%

Can't say I do. Met so many people over the year and I struggle to remember names.

edit: what's his surname?

Btw i racked my esb to the secondary on friday. The uncarbonated beer had some really nice flavors.
Not sure on dan's last name, but he's a friend of a friend so I'll ask.
Can't say i recall a robyn. The main people i know from cb, were bruce (from rhorbach's), and justin who ended up taking a job at victory. Both of whom are amazing brewers.

Bruce does some really good stuff. I spoke to him recently for a bit of advice on the saison I made in February (which is nearly ready). I believe the OT20th anniversary IPA is his recipe and it's really good.

Can't say I recognise Dan but tracked him down on Facebook and he knows a few people I do. I've got around a week until my 2nd batch (with modifications) is ready.

Just tried a bottle today (wanted to asses how 2.8vol CO2 was roughly before bottling an IPA).

Has come out nicely! The hop aroma and flavour has come out really well, similar to London pride sort of strength; good balance of flavour and drinkability. As it's a bit green the bitterness is still a bit high but I assume that'll mellow. Overall I'm pleased with it.

Will see how it is in a couple of weeks (after it's final week room temp conditioning and a week in the cellar). Then if needs be I'll make alterations to the bitterness, I'm thinking 30IBU may be a bit better for the low FG. Also wondering if a bit of Biscuit malt would help the malt profile, I'm hesitant to add anymore crystal as I think it's sweetness is about right with this batch. Maybe the current malt profile would be ok with lower IBU's. I'll report back when it's properly conditioned.

Oh, and 2.8vol looks about right for my IPA but I think it's a bit too much for this beer, maybe 2.4vol would be about right.

Bit of an update:

The 2nd version is too bitter and too dry. Also, despite the addition of wheat, head retention is poor, maybe this is something to do with much lower FG?

Also, I'm not too keen on the hop flavour, too much of an earthy, grassy flavour to it.

So for future:
-Slight tweak to malt base for extra body / flavour
-Higher mash temp (148 made it far too dry, maybe 152-154 would be better)
-Lower the IBU to 30
-Less carbonation
-Change the hops? I still want 1x UK and 1x US variety. Or maybe just change the way I use the goldings:chinook combo. Maybe less 10min & 2min additions and cut the dry hop to remove the earthy/grassy notes I've got from overdoing it. Saying that, my goldings were a bit on the old side so maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe try and more fruity hop than the chinook to go with the S-04? Maybe, maybe, maybe!!!

Based on the details you've posted, you're assessment sounds spot on. Bumping up the mash temp to mid-150's would produce a maltier sweetness. Also, the higher carbonation might account for the dry astringent flavor. Maybe swap out the wheat malt for flaked barley. I've had good luck using flaked barley for better head retention, at least in my darker ales. Other than that, I don't think you really have to change too much with the recipe.

Just an update on my beer...
Bottled last Friday @ 2.0 vols of CO2. Stored a room temp for the next couple weeks. Then I'll move them into a ~55*F cellar for permanent storage. 5 days prior to bottling I moved the carboy out to the barn to cold crash at ~45*F. In the last two days I added the isinglass.

The unfermented beer tasted quite good. Slightly hopier v. maltier, with a subtle floral/citrus aroma. Brilliant copper/amber/orange color, I was real happy about that. However, despite the cold crash and isinglass it was still a little cloudy. Hopefully that clears in the bottle, its not the end of the world if it doesn't.

I made an English Mild 2 1/2 weeks ago and bottled it the same day as the ESB, haha it was a lot of bottling. When I get a chance I'll share the recipe, I think it's going to be a winner. Only 1.036 SG, 1.010 FG. With the lower calories, lower alcohol I'm thinking it will be a nice summer brown beer. Or at least my idea of a good summer beer. haha

My preference would be for less late hoping and probably no dry hops, but that's completely your preference and whatever you like.

This maybe a dumb question but can you get Wyeast or White labs liquid yeast in the UK? If so give the Thames Valley Ale Yeast a try, I've been real happy with the outcome so far.

Enjoy the wedding Friday! Cheers my friend, have a beer for me!

You live in a cool part of the UK, I was Google map stalking you, sorry. I've only visited London for a weekend years ago. Can't wait to go back and do a whole UK beer tour thing.

I just got a job recently too. Beertender at a brew pub in Utica, NY www.nailcreekpub.com. Pretty cool place, good beer, good food. The owner is waiting to the state government to process the forms/permits for brewing. He has a small 4 barrel system in the basement. Eventually, when he gets that going (this summer) I hope to have an opportunity to help out with that too.

Cheers

Well done on the job, I bet working in a brew pub would be cool!

We get whitelabs and wyeast, although i've only used wlp550 for a couple of Belgians, then i've been using nottingham or S-04.

I think you're right, i'll do away with dry hopping and cut the other additions.

I might also change the malt to more of an esb base, not sure if the pale ale idea is right for what i'm trying to achieve. I've got some flaked barley so i'll try and incorporate that.

I'll have to look into yeast as well, maybe i'll 'borrow' some from the brewery, they've got a pretty good all-round strain they use for everything and anything.

ok... just ordered some more Maris otter and a bit of Munich malt (although I may not use it, was an impulse buy... at £1.25/kg it won't harm not to use it). Also got some new EK goldings.

Thinking next it'll be a base of Maris then use some crystal, biscuit, Munich and a small amount of chocolate. Ordered some more Goldings. Now... do I stick with Chinook or not! I've got Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, Chinook and Fuggles lying around. Although I want to stick with my 1x UK, 1x US hop variety plan with mostly English malt with an 'American' influence (ie. not JUST maris & crystal like most UK bitters tend to be).

I'm tempted to use a VERY light amount of Simcoe next time for it's "it’s clean, pine-like aroma and a taste with a slight hint of citrus". But then again, I do like Chinook! Maybe if I cancel dry hopping and aroma additions of chinook, then only use them as a 60min & a light amount at 10min with goldings at 10 & 0min.

I'm after a nice malty brew with some hop flavour and not necessarily aroma which I think batch #2 suffered from having too much of. I've got a really good Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo IPA ready now, so maybe I won't be as tempted to throw buckets of hops at my next batch lol!

Royal Wedding tomorrow! No drinking for me because:
A) I'm at work 6pm - midnight
B) I'm teetoal until May 8th when I'm running a half marathon

Cheers!

My ESB & Mild ale have bottle conditioned for 3 1/2 weeks now. I tried one of each last week. I couldn't wait. Both were really good. The ESB was well balanced. The Mild had a really subtle but complex malt and flavor profile. The ESB had great clarity and color, slight chill haze. The Mild had nice clarity too, despite the fact I didn’t do a secondary, cold crash, or isinglass. I really liked the hop flavor, it had a fresh taste to it and it didn’t overpower the malt. The Willamette came through more than the Cascade. Probably had something to do with the fact the Cascade leaf hops were older than the Willamette pellets.

I was only home for less than 48 hours last week, but I managed to try the beers, and brew another robust porter in the process, lol. It was a frustrating brew day. I boiled over for the first time in years. I felt pretty helpless. I was standing right there, I killed the heat and it just kept foaming. My first hop addition was all over the barn floor, so I had to run inside and grab more hops. Also, I missed my SG badly, I’m pretty sure I just measured my grain wrong. Gesh.

I'll be posting my official critique and some pics of the ESB and Mild sometime during the last week of May. I'm actually leaving for Florida later today, be back Sunday.

What are your thoughts on doing a beer exchange? Provided it’s not to cost prohibitive?

Here's the recipe for the Mild:

Original Gravity

1.037 measured
(1.038 estimated)
Final Gravity
1.009 measured
(1.009 estimated)
Color
18° SRM / 35.46° EBC
(Light Brown to Medium Brown)
Mash Efficiency
72% measured

Malt & Fermentables

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
42% 3 4 American Two-row Pale 37 1
39% 3 0 Pale Malt (Maris Otter) 37 3
7% 0 8 Simpsons Dark Crystal 34 75
7% 0 8 American Crystal 40L 34 40
4% 0 5 Simpsons Chocolate 27 412
2% 0 2 Briess Carapils 34 1

Hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 0.5 Challenger pellet 7.0
boil 30 mins 0.5 Fuggles leaf 4.2
boil 10 mins 0.25 EKG pellet 4.5
boil 1 min 0.25 Fuggles pellet 4.2
Bitterness 22.9 IBU BU:GU 0.61

Yeast
Wyeast Thames Valley Ale (1275)
Alcohol
3.7% ABV / 3% ABW
(3.9% est. ABV / 3% est. ABW)
Calories
125 per 12 oz.

Misc
use time amount ingredient
boil 10 min 1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (WYeast)
boil 15 min 1 tsp Irish Moss
secondary 4 days 2 ounces Isinglass, liquid
bottling 28 days 2 ounces Dextrose

Wow, you were pretty much spot on with your targets.

I've spent a day at another local brewery, much smaller operation and we brewed an IPA with Amarillo and a small amount of Summit.

The beer swap is a good idea, although wouldn't be able to do it for a few months as my pale ale just isn't worthy. My plan now is to do an oak aged ESB using something like maris, munich, biscuit, crystal and wheat (or flaked barley?). Maybe a little chocolate for colour. Then I'll use Chinook and Goldings again but go light on the late additions. I'd maybe add some Chinook at 15min and then goldings at flameout. Probably put a more concise recipe together and brew it at the end of this month or start of next.

Tried this recently and it's really good: http://www.innisandgunn.com/index.htm

Going with something similar (oak aging) here's a recipe I'm putting together, sticking with the Atlantic hop theme but with some changes (2.5 US Gallons):

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.011
60min mash 154F
S-04 rehydrated
29 IBU

Malt
2.70 lb Maris Otter 75%
0.40 lb Munich 11%
0.15 lb Biscuit 4.2%
0.15 lb Special B 4.2%
0.20 lb Wheat Malt 5.6%

Hops:
0.40oz Chinook 12.9% 60min
0.35oz Goldings 5.4% 60min
0.15oz Chinook 12.9% 0min
0.15oz Goldings 5.4% 0min

Primary 7 days, then secondary onto oak chips for around 3 weeks (not sure how much yet).

What do you reckon? I want a light amount of hop flavour & aroma with a nice malty base and I think the special B and oak will go really well together. Do you think that's about right for the special B or too much? I might sub a small amount out and replace with a bit of Crystal 50l?

Other ideas...
To try and make it a little more American, maybe I should try and add some American practices such as first wort hopping? UK breweries in my experience just don't do things like that.

I'm planning wheat malt, should I use flaked barley? What was your experience of it, I've heard it can often lead to a hazy beer. The breweries I've been working at favour torrified wheat for body and head retention, maybe I might grab a few ounces of that next time I'm there.

Hey sorry I've been absent for far too long. Ironically, I visited your old stomping ground this past weekend, The OT in Rochester. I really like link you provided (Have you tired the beer?). The bottles and labels are pretty cool, almost Scotch like cool. I have no experience with oak aging in my personal brewing. It has become the hot trend in recent years by home brewers and craft brewers around here. I honestly haven't tried many oak aged beers, but I know they're around. Certainly sounds like a fun experiment.

Recipe looks pretty solid to me. I love to add flaked barley to many beers, it always creates a nice creamy long lasting head. I wouldn't think it would be appropriate for this kind of beer though, although I'm not sure. Flaked wheat would leave some haze, but the aging might allow it to settle out. You're right on with the special b, a little goes a long ways. Adding Crystal 40, 50 or 60 would add a nice sweet caramel note, possibly to balance out the oak essence. I'd pass on the wort hopping, from all of the research and discussions I've heard It's still questionable as to how much hop character the practice actually adds. Plus from what i understand the practice requires a lot more hops to impart just a small amount of character. That can get expensive. I would experiment with the wort hopping on an IPA or Pale ale recipe.

I like that you're not going to big with this beer. I.e. high alcohol. The lower alcohol with allow you develop a better idea of how much impact the oak with have on the final beer. Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

BTW, just some follow-up notes regarding my ESB and MILD. I carbonated the beer way too low, cask like low. I'm contemplating uncapping the bottles and re-priming with more sugar. So note for the future, shoot for 2.5-3 volumes CO2.

On a positive note. I recently purchased a like new upright freezer & digital temp controller so I can better control fermentation temperature. I'm looking forward to doing an Oktoberfest this summer. Also I submitted some beers to a New York regional home brewers competition. My Monster Chocolate Milk Stout took 1st (out of 12 beers in the overall Stout category). I'd be happy to share the recipe if you're interested.

Cheers!

Hey, the inns and gunn beer is really good, only tried a little bit but really smooth with a nice vanilla flavour.

I did the recipe I posted, missed og as the winter Maris otter crop is poor, local breweries have been struggling with it. Og 1.042, Fg 1.007. I did first wort in a saison and it was really smooth with a theoretical 35 ibu. Bottled the beer Thursday, waiting time! Only did 2.2 vol co2

The stout sounds good! I like chocolate stouts, got a couple of bottles of southern tier imperial choklat in the cellar.

Back