Revisiting Temp Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on what I think might be my next move in temp control...

I fermented for a while in a chest freezer with a single stage temp controller taped to the side of the bucket with some insulation around it. My chest freezer was eventually repurposed and I've been fermenting in the basement (50-57 ambient) in a large bin filled with water and a fish tank heater adjustable from 62 - 72 or so.

I think both have worked ok but would like to have a little more control and less worrying about it going forward.

I've got either that same chest freezer or a new one available now. Doing some research... It seems like the Inkbird 308 along with the Lasko My Heat (200 watt?) in a chest freezer is a popular option. Anyone have this setup or can comment on any downsides/alternatives?

Also... Aside from buying the jacketed versions of all of these cool/expensive conicals... Where is everyone putting these things where they can control temp?

Appreciate any thoughts! :mug:

I have a 308 and the 310 I use the 308 for my keezer and the 310 in my Ferm chamber with a heat wrap for fermentation I got from Amazon. I like the 310 bc it has more options. I have the thermowelll option on it and put it straight into my carboy for accurate temps.

Looking for some advice on what I think might be my next move in temp control...

I fermented for a while in a chest freezer with a single stage temp controller taped to the side of the bucket with some insulation around it. My chest freezer was eventually repurposed and I've been fermenting in the basement (50-57 ambient) in a large bin filled with water and a fish tank heater adjustable from 62 - 72 or so.

I think both have worked ok but would like to have a little more control and less worrying about it going forward.

I've got either that same chest freezer or a new one available now. Doing some research... It seems like the Inkbird 308 along with the Lasko My Heat (200 watt?) in a chest freezer is a popular option. Anyone have this setup or can comment on any downsides/alternatives?

Also... Aside from buying the jacketed versions of all of these cool/expensive conicals... Where is everyone putting these things where they can control temp?

Appreciate any thoughts! :mug:

I use the 308 and Lasko heater in a 7.1 cu ft chest freezer for fermentation. The 308 works fine. The Lasko 200 W heater is overpowered (puts out too much heat too fast) so the chamber tends to overshoot on the high side, which causes the compressor to have to run more than it should. I plan on replacing the Lasko with a reptile heat tape, either 25W or 50W. It may turn out I need the 50W during cold weather and the 25W during warmer weather. I'll run the heat tape around the walls of the freezer, and have a fan in the freezer to move the air around.

Brew on :mug:

I just bought a smallish standup freezer, using an Inkbird 308. I just bought some reptile heating cord from amazon for $18. Its only 25 watts so it should gently heat the chamber if needed. I liked that idea over more high wattage options $$

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with the 308 and the 25W reptile cord to put in my existing 5ft chest freezer. Both from Amazon and both already at my house ready to go. (Sounds like the same setup as you, rtracer.)

Thinking about setting the temp differentials to 1 degree and using a 10 min or so compressor delay.

Looking forward to brew day on Saturday! :mug:

Sounds like you're going to do great. The biggest thing to watch is where you put the temperature probe:

1. Hang it loose in the air - As soon as the freezer or heater kicks on the temperature will change and the thing turns back off. This means you're cycling on and off more often.

2. Thermo-well in the carboy - Overshooting can be an issue. If the heater gets the outside air to 150F before the middle of the carboy catches up, then the outside of your wort is HOT.

3. A small heat-sink - I wrapped my temperature probe to a small 20oz plastic water bottle using a bit of reflectix. This helps take the cycling out from problem 1, and keeps you from getting too hot or cold on problem 2. It will also keep you from freezing your blow-off tube water which I've done a couple times.

Sounds like you're going to do great. The biggest thing to watch is where you put the temperature probe:

1. Hang it loose in the air - As soon as the freezer or heater kicks on the temperature will change and the thing turns back off. This means you're cycling on and off more often.

2. Thermo-well in the carboy - Overshooting can be an issue. If the heater gets the outside air to 150F before the middle of the carboy catches up, then the outside of your wort is HOT.

3. A small heat-sink - I wrapped my temperature probe to a small 20oz plastic water bottle using a bit of reflectix. This helps take the cycling out from problem 1, and keeps you from getting too hot or cold on problem 2. It will also keep you from freezing your blow-off tube water which I've done a couple times.

When I had the single stage setup (in a different house with a warmer basement) I always taped the probe to the side of the bucket with some styrofoam around it. I know this has been a highly debated topic for a while now but was planning on doing the same.

Assuming #1 and #2 you mentioned are off the table for different reasons... Any reason you'd go with #3 over what I described? Seems like capturing and taking into account any fermentation generated heat would be better than a water bottle away from the fermentation?

1) This is taking the temp of the ambient air which is not the temp of the beer. The beer temp during fermentation could be 10° higher. This is not a good choice.

2) Your thought isn't really correct. The beer on the outside of the carboy isn't that much different from the temp of the beer on the inside. Thermo-well is one of the better options....it just costs money.

3) This is taking the temp of the liquid you have in that bottle, not the beer temp. This is similar to the ambient air temp and the beer could be 10° higher.

The easiest option is to tape the probe to the side of your carboy and insulate it with a towel or bubble wrap. The temp reading won't be more than a degree off from the beer in the middle.

When I had the single stage setup (in a different house with a warmer basement) I always taped the probe to the side of the bucket with some styrofoam around it. I know this has been a highly debated topic for a while now but was planning on doing the same.

Assuming #1 and #2 you mentioned are off the table for different reasons... Any reason you'd go with #3 over what I described? Seems like capturing and taking into account any fermentation generated heat would be better than a water bottle away from the fermentation?
For fermentation, taped to the side of the fermenter and insulated is better than in a separate small water vessel, just for the reason you mention.

Brew on :mug:

Thanks. I will stick to my old process of taping the probe to the side of the fermentor with insullation for this one.

BeardedBrews - Since that is what I always considered the standard given my equipment... I'm wondering why it wasn't included in your 3 options? Have you experienced anything that would suggest this isn't a reasonable approach? Or that it might be #4 or further down on your list?

Thanks. I will stick to my old process of taping the probe to the side of the fermentor with insullation for this one.

BeardedBrews - Since that is what I always considered the standard given my equipment... I'm wondering why it wasn't included in your 3 options? Have you experienced anything that would suggest this isn't a reasonable approach? Or that it might be #4 or further down on your list?

I'm sorry guys, my post was poorly worded and I didn't get back quick enough to comment.

My three options were in addition to the one I use which is taped to the side of the carboy and covered in reflectix for ~90% of the time I ferment. I have two exceptions to this: When I'm cold crashing I switch to a water bottle in the chamber so that I don't let the airlocks freeze. When I have more than one fermenter going at the same time I also often try to do some janky wedge-between-the-fermenters technique that is probably more useless than anything. It has worked for me, but I'm sure it's not optimal.

Back