REvisiting Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm about to make my first AG Hefeweizen. Every other weizen I've made, prior to going AG a year ago, has had off flavors. I know it was because of my fermentation temps - they were WAY high. I've been concentrating on just making really good beers lately to build up my confidence, and I really feel good and ready. Now that summer is upon us, I really want to get my Hefeweizen skills down because it's my favorite summer beer. I'm asking for any advice you can give to make authentic Hefes in the style of Hacker-Pschorr, Paulaner, and Fraziskaner. Here are my questions:

1. Wheat to Pils ratio? 60/40 or 70/30?
2. Starter for Wyeast 3068?
3. Hallertauer or Tettnanger?
4. Whole Leaf or pellet?
5. Single Infusion or Decoction mash? (I've only made one infusion - all others have been decoction mashes to bring out the malt in my beers and to practice doing it for the heck of it.)

I know that I need rice hulls in the grist so the wheat malt doesn't give me a stuck sparge. Thanks for any advice you can give me. I'm very comfortable with AG brewing. I really want to brew authentic Hefe's because they're my favorite.

Here is a good Fraziskiskaner Recipe that i found.... I always suggest a 90 minute boil, but add hops at 60. Mash at 150° for 90 minutes . 1/2 lbs rice hulls should be good. This gets great reviews! The type of hops (pellet or leaf) dosent really matter. Its all in whats comfortable to you. They both do the same thing.

Grain Bill

* 7 lb. German Malted Wheat
* 2.75 lb. German Pilsner Malt
* 4 oz. Belgian Aromatic Malt
* 2 oz. Acid Malt

Hop Bill

* 1 oz. Hallertau whole leaf 3.8% AA - 60 minutes
* ¼ oz. Spalt whole leaf 15 minutes
* ¼ oz. Perle whole leaf 15 minutes

Yeast

* Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wheat

Thanks, Joe. Does it have the "chewy" body of Franziskaner as well?

Back