Review my recipe? Hefeweizen Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyrenus

Reaction score
I'll be doing this as my second batch this weekend. I took the original recipe for "Golden Path Hefeweizen" posted on this site and tweaked it a little bit using BeerSmith. This is my first time using this program as well.

I increased my boil volume to 4 gallons (in a 5 gallon kettle), tweaked the recipe for a late extract addition, and reduced some of the extract to meet BeerSmith's recommended OG calculation for this beer style. Here's what I came up with.

Everything look ok? Anything I might want to tweak in this recipe before brewing?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - BeerSmith Brewing Software, Recipes, Blog, Wiki and Discussion Forum
Recipe: Late Boy Hefeweizen
Brewer: Travis
Asst Brewer:
Style: Weizen/Weissbier
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (50.0) This looks to be a good one. Original Recipe tweaked a bit to match the stylistic guidelines and also to implement a late addition extract addition, to keep the color lighter.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 4.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 13.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
2 lbs 1.6 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 27.63 %
5 lbs Wheat Liquid Extract [Boil for 15 min] Extract 65.79 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 6.58 %
0.80 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 9.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP300) Yeast-Wheat

Mash Schedule: Steep Grains
Total Grain Weight: 0.50 lb
----------------------------
Steep Grains
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
30 min Steep Grains Add 0.00 qt of water at 155.0 F 155.0 F

Yeast to be pitched at 70 degrees and fermentor to stay at 63-65 degrees for 10-11 days, then straight to bottles.

Sounds good except why the oatmeal? If you are using standard German "ingredients" there's no need.

Fermenting at the lower temps may give you more cloves than banana falvor/odor. I usually go for 70F, but it's whatever you're looking for.

Keep us informed of the results.

The oatmeal was part of the original recipe. I didn't think of any need to alter or remove it.

Back