Reverse Osmosis Water Recipe for an APA, Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The caption almost says it all. I've installed an RO water system under the counter, and want to make a Citra/Mosaic APA with lots of late hops.

How should I treat my RO water to make the brew as hop forward as possible?

Bonus question: Is there anything I can do to my RO water to increase mouthfeel?

The caption almost says it all. I've installed an RO water system under the counter, and want to make a Citra/Mosaic APA with lots of late hops.

How should I treat my RO water to make the brew as hop forward as possible?

Bonus question: Is there anything I can do to my RO water to increase mouthfeel?

Mouthfeel doesn't come from the water- it comes from the recipe. Adding grains that enhance body or mouthfeel would be the way to go with that.

As far as the water goes, target a mash pH of 5.4 or so. I don't like a lot of sulfate in my hop-forward beers and go with a pretty modest 135-150 ppm, but others will go up to 300 ppm of sulfate in theirs. If you're unsure if you love a high level of sulfate, I'd suggest going lower for the first batch, and go with 135-150 ppm of sulfate.

I didn't think it came from the water, but thought I'd ask, as I wanted to be wrong.

Can you give me some ideas of just how much sulfate, or whatever, to add per gallon of RO water? I assume I will be starting pretty close to zero PPM with RO water.

I've been hearing this more and more lately; both from users here and from Gordon Strong in his new book. They all use phosphoric acid to lower the pH of their RO water to 5.5 and rely on the base malts to lower the mash the rest of the way to 5.1-5.3.

I'm going to try this on my next brew.

I really like the "brightness" of my APAs when mashed at 5.3-5.4. I don't think any lower would bring a better flavor, as I'm afraid of getting a little tartness.

I would use 135-150 ppm of sulfate, to be a middle of the road but higher than many, amount.

OK, sulfate at 135-150 ppm and phosphoric acid to lower the pH to 5.3 or 5.4. Software to calculate amounts.

Anything else? Calcium chloride? Others?

I really appreciate the advice.

Get some water software. If you're science stupid like I am try EZWater calculator, if you're not as bad as me try Bru'n Water. On EZWater you basically figure out ahead of time what you want your levels to be of Ca; Mg; Na; Cl; SO4, you put your starting profile water at 0 for RO water, tell it how much water for mash/sparging and input your grain bill (grain bill effects pH). The software guesses what your pH should be and then at the bottom you put what minerals (in grams) you're adding and keep changing your additions until you reach the levels you were searching for. If pH is still too high you can add an acid (I use Lactic) to adjust. My most common additions are Gypsum, Ca Cloride and Epsom Salt with maybe a little baking soda needed to hit where I want my numbers to be.

To weigh the mineral additions you'll need one of those little pot scales - I had to go buy one but maybe you have one already. :) You'll also need something to measure the liquid acid you're adding. I ordered a bunch of plastic syringes when I made my own hopshots so use those, but you'll need something.

When I first started brewing I used the Electric Brewery recommendation for IPA of (Ca/Mg/Na/Cl/SO4): 110/18/16/50/279. I see the guys on the Heady Topper clone thread are using something like: 166/24/73/68/355. Pick a starting point and experiment on future batches!

Kelsey McNair, who has taken NHC Gold in the IPA category three times in the last five years with his Hop-Fu, says this about the water he uses (Page 58, Zymurgy, September/October 2014):

Strike water:
Calcium: 100-125 ppm
Magnesium: 10 ppm
Sodium: no mention of it
Sulfate: 250-300 ppm
Chloride: 25-50 ppm
Biicarbonate: < 40 ppm

Sparge water:
Straight RO, no additions

I've used this water recipe twice to make a Zombie Dust clone.

For my APA/IPA beers (using RO) I have found my preference with an overall profile of 150-200ppm sulfate, 50 or less of chloride, whatever those two add up in Ca (usually around 100ppm) and minimal on the rest (I only use CaCl and Gypsum). If I need to come down anymore with mash pH, I adjust with lactic acid, but its usually only a few mL (for a 10 gal batch). I strive for a 5.4 mash pH.

I went on a big hop-forward brew spree the past 6 months and was very happy on how the beers turned out.

Back