reverse airflow in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalamcor

Reaction score
I just got done racking my peach melo/meth again and added in a bit of co2 to make up for the bit left in the other carboy after racking over. right now the everclear i use in the airlock keeps getting sucked into the wrong side and air is being sucked into the carboy. why does it do this, can i do anything to make it stop? ( i know there werent any major temp differences between the carboys and liquid)

Althought counter intuitive, there almost certainly was a temperature difference and that is the source of the problem. I face the same situation when I drop my lagers down to low temps whiich causes the suck back thing. I would like to know a good solution to this problem also. I have ben keepong a carboy cap on the carboy without an airlock. Occasionally I will burp it to releive the vacuum. Once cooled, I replace the airlock. No more suck back beyond that point. I keep an eye on the airlock fluid level to be sure and it's vodka just in case. It does not take much of a temperature change to cause this phenomenon.

Lemme guess, you're using those upside-down bucket air locks?

Get the "S" shaped ones, and only fill them up with about a 1/2" of vodka. They flow air in either direction.

I know this happens to me when there is a lot of head space left and the temp fluctuates. I use Iodolpher in my airlock and there has never been a problem with my batches because of "suck back".

using one of the "s" airlocks. usualy dont use the three piece. also both carboys came from same room same temp. anyone know how much of a temp difference is needed to cause this or should i take that question to tech thread.

It doesn't take much, even an atmospheric pressure change can cause suck back. The s-shaped airlocks I have can only do this if they're overfilled - if I fill them to a little less than half full (which is where the lines are) they will pull in an air bubble instead of the liquid. Maybe yours are designed differently though.

not worried about the liquid getting pulled in as it is only everclear. just dont like the air getting sucked in. think another shot of co2 would be benificial?

What was the temperature of the CO2 you put in there? Is the temperature of the room going down? (did you just start to run your A/C?)

co2 cannister kept at room temp in same room the empty and filled carboy were held in. and no still using the heater at night to warm things up a bit. co2 would naturaly cool a bit even when let slowly out of the container. would warming co2 cause this?

Back