reusing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midas

Reaction score
brewed a robust porter today ,and would like to reuse the yeast to make another beer next week.i have never done this before ,how do i do it?i used wyeast 1028 (london ale )

Definitely wash it as explained in the yeast washing thread if you're not doing it right away. As a bonus, you'll have enough yeast ready for your next 4 batches.

I reused yeast for the first time last week - I didn't wash it because I was in the process of brewing another batch when I racked it to secondary. I pitched 1/4 of the trub to the new batch and it was bubbling within 3 hours.

I would also add that if you decide to pitch right on top of it, make sure it is another Porter or Stout. There will be enough beer left over in there to add color.

thanks for the responses.hadnt thought about racking something other than a darker beer ontop of it ,had to change my plans and am going to brew a stout instead of the ipa i was planning on brewing

just toss that stout right on that yeast cake--it'll take off within a couple of hours. be sure to use a blow off tube instead of an airlock as it'll be a furious fermentation.

didnt see this post before i brewed,fermentation started in less than one hour,had an airlock on my carboy,thank god i was watching it and replaced the air lock with a blowoff tube because it went crazy!

so for reusing a yeast cake, you just empty the beer out of your previous primary, say into a secondary, then drain ur cooled wort into the same primary? do you try to get all the beer out with the siphon first? or do u try to poor the beer out leaving as much yeast as possible? and what preparations to make sure its sanitized? or does it need to be?

sorry id just love to try this and im a bit confused...

Alex

Alex-
You've pretty much got it. Rack the beer from primary to whatever vessel you desire, leaving behind the yeast (you should be doing this anyway when you transfer). When complete, transfer your wort from kettle to the yeast cake filled carboy. No additional sanitizing needed. And like others have said, be ready with a blow off tube.

don't pour the fermented beer into the secondary! you want to siphon so you don't get aeration ;)

then, yep, just pour the wort from your new brew right on top of the yeast and seal her back up.

Back