Reusing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

telecasterdc

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Last week I made an oatmeal stout by rehydrating an 11.5 ounce dry yeast packet and pitching about 1/5 of the yeast. I put the remainder in the refrigerator. Can I use some of this yeast for a batch a week later, or should I start fresh?

Thanks,
Craig

Yes, assuming you are doing i gallon batches from the fact you used 1/5 the yeast. That leave enough yeast, getting less viable just sitting there, for about 3 gallons. If you did one gallon in a week I would use a little more than 1/5. Then if you went another week after that I would use what was left.

OK, thanks! Do I need to let it warm up before pitching? Also, will a starter be necessary?

Thanks again for your help!

Yes to warming up
I would only do a starter to check viability, but if you are certain everything stayed clean when proofing your yeast you should be good to warm and pour it right in!

To clarify on the warming up, yeasties don't like sudden temperature changes, like at all. Pitching a 30d vial from the fridge into a 70d batch is a bit extreme, and easily avoidable.

I found that the viability is affected quite a bit after the yeast is opened. As others have noted.

Personally next time I would make a small starter from tbe dry yeast and pitch 1/5 of it, keep the rest in a jar in the fridge.

Thanks for the all the replies! It seems I just need to set it out before pitching to get it close to the temperature of the wort. Might make a small starter or just check it's viability before hand.

Back