reusing yeast, which beer next?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrclean

Reaction score
So, i have whitelabs wlp300 that i used for a hef. My main question is do I have to stick to a wheat beer or can I go from light to dark i.e a brown ale or stout?

Trying to avoid off tastes like banana/clove in a hoppy IPA but i get conflicting opinions.

I would only reuse a strain of yeast in a new beer that the strain works for. I wouldn't use a hef yeast in an ipa personally.

milesvdustin said:
I would only reuse a strain of yeast in a new beer that the strain works for. I wouldn't use a hef yeast in an ipa personally.

sorry, i was using the IPA as a poor example. my question is pretty basic, what strains can i use it for; wheat beers only, porters, brown ale etc.??

thank you!

This doesn't seem like a very versatile yeast. You will get banana and clove which don't suit many styles. I'd only use it for wheat beers.

thanks so much guys! i really enjoy dunkels as well so that will be my next brew. I plan on researching what i brew after the dunkel based on a 3x use of whatever yeast strain i use.

thanks again guys

You can certainly ferment that yeast in it's comfort zone, on the low end, and you should be able to make an IPA or pale ale just fine. The hops will cover much of the esters that it throws. Besides, there are a number of "white IPA's" out there that do just this.

I suspect anything with big flavor from the malt and/or hops would cover most of the esters. Don't be afraid, the end result will still be drinkable. I had a blonde come out with some banana esters somehow with chico yeast and even though unexpected, the keg went very fast.

tre9er said:
You can certainly ferment that yeast in it's comfort zone, on the low end, and you should be able to make an IPA or pale ale just fine. The hops will cover much of the esters that it throws. Besides, there are a number of "white IPA's" out there that do just this.

I suspect anything with big flavor from the malt and/or hops would cover most of the esters. Don't be afraid, the end result will still be drinkable. I had a blonde come out with some banana esters somehow with chico yeast and even though unexpected, the keg went very fast.

This is certainly possible, but having tasted a few pale ale banana bombs at the last homebrew event I went to, it wouldn't be my choice :)

This is certainly possible, but having tasted a few pale ale banana bombs at the last homebrew event I went to, it wouldn't be my choice :)

Not a bomb, but even the spiciest wheat yeast shouldn't be bad if fermented on the low end and given plenty of time to clean up. In an IPA I would think it would be hardly noticeable, especially if given ample time to ferment, clean up, and condition.

You could do a dampfbier - essentially a poor man's hefe.

100% barley & tett hops

Back