Reusing yeast on a budget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iv_hokie12

Reaction score
So I have some first generation WLP001 yeast that just got done fermenting a pale ale. (OG 1.052) I am about ready to brew a Bitter (OG 1.047 OG) Now obviously WLP002 would be a better yeast, and you are supposed to pitch up instead of down, but I'm just wondering on how minor the differences are. Basically I'm asking if it is really worth it to spend $8 rather than use the free yeast I already have.

I also just got done making a bitter out of a kit with a SG of 1.042 and could use that yeast I suppose. The reason I am making another is I'm really only making the first one because my sister loves Bitters and I am unsure if the brewers best kit will give a good example of one.

For most people it would be hard to taste the differents. I use any type of yeast I have as long it fits into the profile of the brew, always seem to work out for me.

what yeast do you have in bitter kit?, if its english strain it could be slightly better choice but as you i wouldnt spent $8 for wlp002 if i have similar yeast ready to go. Most of breweries have 2-3 strains in the house (lager, wheat and ales) and use it for most of their beers

To be honest I forget which kind, but according to what I can find it was Nottingham. Sounds familiar anyway.

Wash the yeast from your original brew. Store it well. Then pick up the yeast needed for the next beer and when done fermenting out wash that yeast. You will soon have a nice collection of yeast to choose from.

Back