reusing yeast from batch that used 14% candi syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHBT

Reaction score
i undershot my gravity pretty bad running my new system, too coarse of a crush i think was my main problem , i did not adjust anything i just ran the recipe as is and took it as a lesson and just getting used to new system anyway the recipe had a lb (14%) clear candi sugar and wondering if the yeast can be reused even though a decent amount of simple sugar was used, plan on redoing this exact recipe but this time reach my targets, yeast is pretty expensive these days so hopefully its alright to use again cheers

I often take my sludge, add water and keep it fed with any fruits, veg, beans or whole cereals left over from the food kitchen.

Clean and repeat every few days then
Use as a fruit wine starter
Or mix with corn, sugar and water............ and use as a base, weeks later

Clear candi sugar? Sugar and Corn syrup? No preservtatives etc?

I sometimes use panela which is cane juice cooked at high temperatures, it ferments. (I put in a lump and when it stops disolving I know the fermentation has slowed)

I have not used a fresh yeast packet in a year and still getting strong wines

Only started using Pottasium Sorb/Meta this month as some of the bottled stuff was deterioting after 6 months to a year,

Mix my reckless approach with more profesional practices.............

But yes, you can reuse the yeast, i would bet 10 kg of berries and several bags of sugar on it

As long as the ABV of the beer is not too high and fermentation proceeded as expected, I don't see where a batch made with 14% candi syrup would impact the health of the yeast much. Anecdotally, I have successfully harvested yeast several times from a Dubbel that is around 8% ABV with 8% simple sugars. It might not be the ideal batch for harvesting.

As long as the ABV of the beer is not too high and fermentation proceeded as expected, I don't see where a batch made with 14% candi syrup would impact the health of the yeast much. Anecdotally, I have successfully harvested yeast several times from a Dubbel that is around 8% ABV with 8% simple sugars. It might not be the ideal batch for harvesting.
i figured that, plus its gonna be the same recipe, its also a good time to find out for myself 1st hand cheers

Back