reusing yeast, do I need to wash?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BoostedF150

Reaction score
Or can I dump my fresh wort over the entire old yeast cake with trubb and all in the same carbon as the beer before? Btw it is safale 05

Obliviousbrew

Reaction score
That will be overpitching if you are not brewing a very big beer and twice the size of your previous brew I wouldn´t do it. About a thir of the yeast cake is what I have used depending of course of what you are brewing

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I second about a third of the cake...I stash it in a zip lock bag as I consider them sanitary from the package....very easy.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
BoostedF150 said:
Do I need to wash it though or is it ok to use with all the trubb in it?
You don't necessarily "need" to, but it might lead to a cleaner beer. I've pitched on a full cake before with no issues. Overpitching on a homebrew scale is actually quite difficult to do.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
BoostedF150 said:
What would be the result of pitching on the entire yeast cake other that just waste
Potentially... subtle carry-over flavors from your last batch, particularly if you used a lot of roasted malt or hops.

Calder

Reaction score
What would be the result of pitching on the entire yeast cake other that just waste
- Quick start, lots of kraeusen, and possible blow-off.

- Due to the increased activity, the temperature will rise quickly, and can result in higher alcohols if not controlled.

- Reduced yeast esters due to reduction in reproduction.

- Since there will be little reproduction, the old yeast will have to complete the fermentation. Could possibly end up with a higher FG than if you pitched less.