Reusing Yeast Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeL

Reaction score
I just brewed a Vienna/Centennial SMaSH IPA on the 26th and plan on making a Barleywine next Wednesday. My plan was to move the SMaSH over to a secondary that day and pitch some of the yeast cake for the barleywine so I don't need to buy more US-05.

Now I have a few questions about the process. How long before I brew should I move the SMaSH to secondary? Will the yeast cake be fine being exposed for a little while? How much of the yeast cake should I pitch into the 1g batch of barleywine?

Mr. Malty suggests 36ML of slurry which is about 2.5 tablespoons. Does this sound right? Is there a easy way to be sure i'm getting the yeast from the cake and not hop debris?

Anyone have input on this? Should I just rack the barleywine on top of the whole yeast cake?

There are many videos out there about what to do and how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's only a 1 gallon batch of barleywine I probably wouldn't rack it on top of an entire cake from a 5 gallon batch. I'd take roughly a fifth and pitch it into the new wort. I wouldn't bother washing unless a) the SMaSH has a big flavor that might alter the barleywine, or b) you're doing this for competition or something like that (ie, you're very super anal).

If it's only a 1 gallon batch of barleywine I probably wouldn't rack it on top of an entire cake from a 5 gallon batch. I'd take roughly a fifth and pitch it into the new wort.

The SMaSH is also a 1g batch so could I pitch right on top? I would rather not have to wash the yeast and since this barleywine will be pretty high IBU, i'm not really worried about the hop debris. Does this sound alright?

Anyone have input on this? Should I just rack the barleywine on top of the whole yeast cake?

Hello, You can wash your yeast, rack on top of yeast cake, take some and stir it in, make a yeast starter, lots of options.

I have taken some of my yeast cake and mixed it right into the new batch (I just sanitized a cup and took a big scoop of it), I also washed that same batch of yeast and pitched that into another batch, both ways worked just fine for me.

Others might be able to give you better advise as Im still learning too.

Hope this helps
Cheers :mug:
WiliECoyote

I'm leaning towards just pitching right on top since it's the easiest ;).

Thats the way I think I would go, and you can still take some of the yeast cake and wash and store it, if you want some for your next batch.

Oh I read where you leave just enough of your last beer to cover the top of the yeast cake when racking on top.

Cheers :tank:
WiliECoyote

Latest posts

Back