Reusing yeast cake when there's an IBU difference

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
I'm brewing two belgian trippels in the next couple weeks and am going to reuse the 510 yeast cake. But, the first brew I'm doing is 35 IBUs and the second is 21. Is this too great of a difference? Should I wait and do the second brew as the first? Or, does it not make a difference?

You really should always wash the yeast to get rid of old protein particulates, spent hop debris and dead yeast. You do not want to carry that stuff forward from batch to batch. Especially for me, when I do big Belgians, because I keep them in primary for up to 6 weeks.

To just rack onto a cake means that the yeast cake never stops aging.

You really should always wash the yeast to get rid of old protein particulates, spent hop debris and dead yeast. You do not want to carry that stuff forward from batch to batch. Especially for me, when I do big Belgians, because I keep them in primary for up to 6 weeks.

To just rack onto a cake means that the yeast cake never stops aging.

Ahh, thanks. I didn't realize this.

Washing it is.:mug:

Back