Reusing Mini Oak Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germainium

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a mini oak barrel that I want to use for oak aging beers. I'm curious about my case because I don't really intend to fill it with liquor before, as I'm not a fan of bourbon-aged beers (I know, I know..). My question is on the reuse of the barrel and am hoping for some insight for anyone who has used barrels, mini or full-size.

I brewed a stout this weekend that I'm going to oak age half the batch for a bit. I've been following the instructions of changing the water, watering the outside, etc. since I got it a few weeks ago. After I age the stout, I want to consider using for sour beers, but don't want to have to sanitize with alcohol. I did read online that I could buy some sort of barrel sanitizer and acid to clean it out.

Has anyone used these for making repeated beers? if so, what guidance could you provide. I want to keep this in rotation, but don't think I can repeatedly use for stouts, porter, etc. as the oak flavor wears.

How have you cycled your barrel? Once I use for a stout, should I clean/sanitize it and only use for sours going forward?

What if I wanted to impart wine in a future beer? could I sanitize and soak with wine for a while, then when that's gone wine barrel-age a beer?

Sorry for the long post and not sure it's the right forum, but appreciate any help or guidance for a new barrel attempt.

Back