Reusing bottle caps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I get it. I get frustrated sometimes when I'm trying to solve a problem. Beer is serious business, right? :) But we're here to help whenever you need some info.
Oh Def!!! The way I see my beer progressing is like watching a baby grow!!! Crazy!!! And I get so protective of it too!!! So when anything goes wrong I go crazy... Lol...
So, sorry guys for any hard feelings I caused!

must have been a comment about someone like me, that automatically assumes...if their speaking english they live in the US...unless they say differently anyway....

Good tip though, have to remember that for politeness...

I wasn't aiming that at you, sorry, didn't mean it that way. I was just mentioning that I try to look at the user info to get an idea of what's going on.

I don't see a smiley posted, so I'm assuming you are serious here.
In many (perhaps most) cases, location is not all that important, or only a secondary concern, so answering without peeking at the user's location won't change the answer, or much.
But where it is important or crucial, I'd say yeah, it can make for a better, more informed and to the point conversation.

Whether "most of us" are smart enough to do so, I'd like to think so. Now you're more aware, it will be more difficult to ignore it in the future. ;)
FYI, location doesn't show up by default for us whom usually login via the mobile site, though if you tap on the user's name it does show it on a pop-up.

The problem is not me not mentioning my country. The problem is judgemental people's comment that are fueled by simple lack of knowledge... Aka ignorance. People should not jump to judgment, they should just answer the "simple" question...

We're all a bunch or wise a$$e$ here, I'm sure there was no disrespect intended.

I didn't realize the OP was not in north America. My Amazon prime suggestion makes less sense.

Before I started using glass (and eventually kegging), I used soda bottles. Root beer bottles are good because they're amber, but it's difficult to get rid of the root beer flavor (for best results, use cold water).

I once considered using Pet ( soda bottle) plastic and looked up the burst strength compared to glass. Plastic is actually several times stronger than glass. Its just freaky to reach into the frige and see the bottle swollen up like a bad infection. Threw me for a loop when I made a batch of root beer once.

to the OP;

I'd be interested in hearing what you find the challenges are in a country that does not have a strong home brewing culture. What is available, and how do you source the missing elements? overseas mail order? travel? substitute local equivalent? Make your own? I am always interested in hearing how people respond to local challenges. In the history of beer there have been many ingredients added to fermented beverages for a variety of reasons. Most doing exactly what you describe, responding to local availability.

to the OP;

I'd be interested in hearing what you find the challenges are in a country that does not have a strong home brewing culture. What is available, and how do you source the missing elements? overseas mail order? travel? substitute local equivalent? Make your own? I am always interested in hearing how people respond to local challenges. In the history of beer there have been many ingredients added to fermented beverages for a variety of reasons. Most doing exactly what you describe, responding to local availability.
Finally, a really good question on this forum! Thumbs up!

Well, as far as home brewing is concerned, here in Tunisia the only thing that is available is barley from the animal feed store and it stops there! ... Anything else that comes next in the brewing process I have to either make it myself or source it somewhere (which includes travel or asking someone who is traveling to bring it along). Malt your own, crush your own, travel out of the country to get yeast and hops.... I mean the list just keeps growing. Rig up your own mash run, your own fermenter.... It is a challenge but I actually do t mind it. It is nice to end up with a good beer that actually is a lot better than what is available in our stores... That in itself is a reward!

So. For hops and yeast I travel outside the country and get a year supply.
For malt I make my own. Which means I made my own kiln. And I rigged up a pasta maker to crush my grains.
Fermenter and bottling buckets are home made too out of food grade plastic buckets.

This whole process is not easy but it is fulfilling... I even make my own specialty malt for my varying color goals, and my own Belgian Candy Sugar to satisfy my Trappist cravings.

Do you ranch your yeast strains or purchase fresh for each batch? When I was brewing regularly I ranched my yeast. You might think of that if you have a little space in the frige. If you do starters its even easier.

Do you ranch your yeast strains or purchase fresh for each batch? When I was brewing regularly I ranched my yeast. You might think of that if you have a little space in the frige. If you do starters its even easier.
No I never did ranch my yeast, is that the same as harvesting yeast? I guess yes. But can I do it with minimal equipment?

No I never did ranch my yeast, is that the same as harvesting yeast? I guess yes. But can I do it with minimal equipment?

You *can* harvest the yeast in the trub, but unless you use a strain for only one recipe, eventually you will get flavors from one grain bill contaminating the other batches. When I was ranching, I did a starter, let it ferment out, cold crash, then decant and pitch, reserving a small portion of yeast cells in the starter vessel. Then I would do a fresh batch of starter wort, do another full starter, cold crash, decant and pour the yeast into a storage container and place it in a frige until my next brew day. I used dry Pilsen extract because the flavor is light and won't intrude into other batches, but you could also do a light Pilsen wort and store it in canning jars until the next brew day. I found the DME more convenient. I assume DME its not available where you are?
See the linked thread for a more detailed description of the process, which I posted when I was working our the details of ranching: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...or-most-flocculant-cells.528837/#post-6908947

The stir plate is easily made but not necessary. You can give the jar a swirl every time you walk by. Similarly, the E flask is not necessary. Any moderately large jar that can be covered against dust but not pressure with aluminum foil is fine. The important thing is to be sure the starter has fermented completely, and is cold crashed. The yeast cells need to settle to the bottom of the container so you can pour off the starter beer, which in my experience is not tasty enough to add to my beer. If I planned to brew on Saturday, I'd boil up my starter the Monday before to ensure it fermented completely and gave me as many yeasty beasties as possible.

Last edited:
I always reuse my caps. But just to be sure I cap half my batch with brand new and the other half with the used ones. I use a bench capper and always try to take off the caps gently

Back