Reusing better bottle after infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reelale

Reaction score
I finally got my first infection. I know where it came from. I used a cracked autosyphon tube as a wine thief. There was a nice pellicle on top of my roggenbier after a couple of weeks. I *might* have left it in the primary a little long, going on six weeks. I'd take a picture, but it broke apart when I moved the better bottle. The beer actually tastes darn good, and I think I'll try to salvage and keg it.

My question concerns the hardware. I plan to replace all the tubing that I use to rack with. Possibly the stopper and airlock as well. I really hate to get rid of the Better Bottle if I can save it. Those things are expensive! What's the consensus on reusing better bottles after an infection? Would a bleach cleaning/disinfection work? Or should I just bite the bullet and get a new one?

passedpawn said:
I'd re-use it all. I'd do a quick boil on the stopper. The better bottle would get bleach. Shake, wait a day, shake again.

I don't believe in the "throw it all away" philosophy. Things can be sanitized.

I had a fliptop bottle with half a cm of black mold stuck on the bottle and for the heck of it I filled it with bleachwater and capped it. The black stuff turned white, flaked off the bottom and completely dissolved afte a week or two. I don't think anything can survive bleach.

I've never used anything other than oxiclean on the Better Bottle, so I know the inside is not messed up. I'm thinking the bleach thing would work fine. Thanks for the responses.

Bleach it, and Starsan. Then make a brew with as inexpensive ingredients as you can. Then you'll know and not loose a very expensive brew.

Put a few ounces of bleach in the bottle and fill with cold water and leave it for a week. Then rinse with hot water a few times to get rid of the bleach film. Rinsing need only be a little hot water and swirling it around to get all the surfaces. Cold water does not get rid of bleach film.

I would leave it a week rather than just a rinse with bleach because any contamination may be in the pores of the bottle, and you need to give the bleach time to get in there too.

If you use the bleach, don't forget to add some vinegar to keep the pH low enough for the bleach to be effective. I recall that the ratio for a no-rinse sanitizer is 1 oz (2 Tbs) bleach and 1 oz. vinegar in 5 gallons of water. You could go stronger because you're not trying for a no-rinse solution - just be sure you don't mix the vinegar and bleach together - add one to the water and mix thoroughly, then add the other one.

If you use the bleach, don't forget to add some vinegar to keep the pH low enough for the bleach to be effective. I recall that the ratio for a no-rinse sanitizer is 1 oz (2 Tbs) bleach and 1 oz. vinegar in 5 gallons of water. You could go stronger because you're not trying for a no-rinse solution - just be sure you don't mix the vinegar and bleach together - add one to the water and mix thoroughly, then add the other one.

Why on earth would you add vinegar (pH ~2.7) to bleach (pH ~12.7) in order to make the bleach "effective"?

Caustic and acidic cleaners/sanitizers are used separately for a reason

Why on earth would you add vinegar (pH ~2.7) to bleach (pH ~12.7) in order to make the bleach "effective"?

Caustic and acidic cleaners/sanitizers are used separately for a reason

This was something that Charley Talley of 5-Star (makers of StarSan) said in this podcast:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/archive/search.php?story=charlie+talley&dosearch=yes

As I recall, he spent as much time talking about bleach as he did about StarSan - one thing he said was that if the pH is over about 8.0, bleach loses its effectiveness at killing bacteria. A very interesting podcast - well worth listening to.

EDIT: the link above, which I copied from another thread on HBT is apparently bad. Try this one:
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2007
Scroll down to the March 29, 2007 podcast and take your choice of iTunes or streaming MP3 format.

Bleach will kill everything. Use a tablespoon per gallon and u should be fine. Let that soak overnight and rinse the hell outta it.

Back