Reusing Belgium bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Hey does anyone know if it possible to reuse/recork Belgium Style bottles?

I have a bunch of Lost Abby bottles and also Trappist bottles. All are the big 22 oz bottles. I really like the style and would love to put a batch of Belgium style ale into them.

Thx in advance for any help and recommendations.

Yes. But you need a corker that can do it. There's plans on here from a copy of BYO magazine on how to modify one to do it.

http://***********/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/1941-corking-belgians

Well looked all over. They only way to cork Belgium style bottles is to get a champagne corker. So ill just keep saving bottles and working on making a great Belgium Ale.

I bought a colonna corker for Belgian and champagne bottles. It was pretty cheap and works great.
Colonna%20Corker-500x500.jpg

The cork and cage are more expensive than a cap but they look really nice.

bknifefight said:
I bought a colonna corker for Belgian and champagne bottles. It was pretty cheap and works great.

The cork and cage are more expensive than a cap but they look really nice.

Really? I called Northern Brewer and they said no. If that's the case then I will totally buy the Colonna and get to work on a batch. Does the cork go in easily? Any more info would be great Looking forward to this.

You are using those mushroom corks and wire baskets? Also, how do you age the brew? Is it different than standard brews?

Thx guys, everything is appreciated.

richlong8020 said:
Really? I called Northern Brewer and they said no. If that's the case then I will totally buy the Colonna and get to work on a batch. Does the cork go in easily? Any more info would be great Looking forward to this.

You are using those mushroom corks and wire baskets? Also, how do you age the brew? Is it different than standard brews?

Thx guys, everything is appreciated.

Also can you supply links to corks and baskets. Surprisingly my LHBS does not offer them.

Corks, cages, tool for winding the wire on the cages (to tighten them). I've also used the red floor corker on Belgian bottles with great success. You simply need to set the plunger depth to leave the right amount above the bottle lip. Just be sure to not leave too much above the lip, since that will make it harder to remove the bottle. I'm looking to get one of the champagne floor corkers, once I sell my red floor corker. That way, it will be easier to cork any bottle I want to use. :D

BTW, Northern Brewer has the corks and cages, plus the floor corker. Rebel has everything except the tool to wind the cage wires. I tried using a screwdriver the first time, sliced my fingers pretty good on the cage tops (suckers are SHARP).

sfrisby said:
Do you age Belgian bottles upright or on side like wine? Had a bottle tonight, aged upright for 6 mo and was a bit oxidized.

I read you age them on their sides. Keeps them moist and the oxygen is blocked out

i think u can just put a caqp back on it

Not all Belgians can be capped. Also believe that the ones that can, don't use the standard size caps (recall reading/hearing that someplace, can't remember where so it might not be correct). I would check with one of the vendors that sells them (the kind that can be capped or corked) to find out.

Personally, I like the presentation you get with the corks and cages. If you're really concerned, you could, also, dip them in wax (the kind made for this).

are u sure i thought i saw caps for them at the homebrew shop maybe wrong

I have ones that cannot be capped. You have to use the corks and cages on them. Got those from the LHBS as well as online (for the 375ml size). I know they offer the 375ml in both cork only and cork/cap versions.

Not all Belgians can be capped. Also believe that the ones that can, don't use the standard size caps (recall reading/hearing that someplace, can't remember where so it might not be correct). I would check with one of the vendors that sells them (the kind that can be capped or corked) to find out.

Personally, I like the presentation you get with the corks and cages. If you're really concerned, you could, also, dip them in wax (the kind made for this).

Yeah, you need the larger bell, then you have to turn your plates over on the red barron/Emily capper.

They don't have the rounded lip of the othe Belgian cork and cage bottles.

light_weight_champagne.jpg

You can bottle these with your red emily capper, by pulling out and flipping the metal plates, and buying a 29mm capping bell.
champagne-adapter.jpg

And these caps from Norther Brewer.

29mm%20crown%20caps.JPG

If it's this style,

0101546.jpg

you need corks and cages....You can use what I mentioned in my first post, the cheap colona capper, but you can also use a portugese corker to do it. We have a thread here.

Also as mentioned earlier, some belgian bottles do indeed take regular caps. A lot of them are Belgian style beers made by american craft breweries, they're pretty much the same as sparkling wine and non alcoholic "champagne" beverages, like Martinelli's.

I use a Portuguese floor corker to package my Belgian bottles. I really like it.

And that's about as helpful of a post that I can contribute.

I need to make a cage twister, just used my finger on the first batch and they look a little sloppy. Make sure the 29mm bell fits your capper - I ordered one and the thread is opposite of my bench capper. Still works, but I hafta hold it all together.

I need to make a cage twister, just used my finger on the first batch and they look a little sloppy. Make sure the 29mm bell fits your capper - I ordered one and the thread is opposite of my bench capper. Still works, but I hafta hold it all together.

And also when you get one, and when you start flipping plates on your capper, mark which is which on them with a sharpy. It can get confusing when you're bottling both types of bottles. The bells really look pretty much alike.

Back