Reusing 12 oz bottle caps - Yes caps. Pry off caps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a couple of cases of grolsch swing-tops. If anyone is in the Clearwater FL area, come by and grab them, they are in the attic and likely headed to the recycle bin when I get the energy.
I had several cases, maybe 8 cases that I put out to recycle when I moved in 2019. I had made friends with a bartender at Bennigans when I first started brewing and I would pay him for them. To him they were trash. He would save them for me along with the boxes they came in. I hadn’t used them for ages and I had no space for them at the new place. They are 16 oz bottles if I recall.

Today I would rather have Fuller’s bottles.

Last edited:
I had several cases, maybe 8 cases that I put out to recycle when I moved in 2019. I had made friends with a bartender at Bennigans when I first started brewing and I would pay him for them. To him they were trash. He would save them for me along with the boxes they came in. I hadn’t used them for ages and I had no space for them at the new place. They are 16 oz bottles if I recall.

Fullers bottles were nice heavy glass.
I could not find any Fullers for sale last two times to the store. Clerk said they hadn't had any for 18 mos.

Fullers bottles were nice heavy glass.
I could not find any Fullers for sale last two times to the store. Clerk said they hadn't had any for 18 mos.

I dont know what fuller bottles are, but I also didn't find them at my trip to the store. Happy now.

What he^ said! 🤣

The hoss dead already, stop beating it to pulp, $20+tax has been sent over electronically to seller of caps ... awwww forget it, I am a knuckle dragging palm toddy drinker as proved by my visit to this place.
Toddy tapping method in kerala ( coconut tree) - YouTube
So, WTF do I know.

Anyway, I really really prefer 12oz even at 10% abv, and the next 2 batches are gonna be 12 and 14% and stay in the mid teens after that. So basically, 12oz is a good nice evening drink if the honey hating honey doesn't jump for her share.
If she does, yea a pint or a quart may be justified.
So caps be damned they eat O2 great, 3c is fine, I got a million of em coming my way.

Thanks for the story.

If anyone wants some bottles, come get them. They work fine.

I am pretty set on 12 oz glass bottles for the good and cleared batches. Nothing else fits my drinking style for now.
I am good on the PET - which are 2l bottles I need for the freeze concentration I may do for the batch that hit 1.00 but hasn't cleared due to various problems like leaving the country for 8 weeks, setting the house at 55F etc. Those are put in the freezer with the original caps left loose for 2-3 days then melted out to 2X the concentration.
Basically I ordered 12oz bottle caps and may not even need to dip into that for months. But I am all set anyway. 1000 caps will be a life time supply unless I start crazy fermentation stuff. Which I might.

If you really want to reuse the caps this device removes them without crimping or damaging them. I've tried reusing a few caps just for curiosity sake and they held fine and re-crimped and sealed fine. However, I still use new caps. Just saying

Attachments

• 16473468636282131803822.jpg
    16473468636282131803822.jpg
    582.2 KB · Views: 5
And I figured out a use for these old caps, with no compromise to anything, and only 2 sec of effort.

The instructions are -
1. Open beer with a bottle opener that does not deform the bottle.
2. Drink the beer and save it in the fridge from deflating as fast by pressing the cap back on (This is an old trick, not the real new trick).
3. When beer is done drinkin, wash the bottle as best as you can (and even boiling water if you prefer).
4. Apply the cap (also washed in boiling water, and in fact use the capping tool and cap it on. Wait, dont get ahead of me - yes the insides are clean and sealed off and if done when bottle is hot it will suck the cap down tight tight tight and seal like a mofo - yes good, but still not quite the magic trick I'm dropping.
5. These bottles can now be washed on the outside in bleech or boiling water or something and you can remove the labels without the risk of that crap getting inside the bottle.
6. On bottling day, pry off the caps, star san the insides etc etc and bottle away, normal procedure except for prying off a cap.

The best part is, it only takes a few extra seconds at each beer while being drunk. I'll bet it takes longer to walk to the recycle bin to toss the bottle (atleast it does in my case, cos those damn things are 10' from the back door. So need to open 2 pesky doors and open the stupid bin and drop it, and then I need to wash hands etc cos I touched the trash.

Boom, now you have nice clean label free bottles for the cost of $0.

And I figured out a use for these old caps, with no compromise to anything, and only 2 sec of effort.

The instructions are -
1. Open beer with a bottle opener that does not deform the bottle.
2. Drink the beer and save it in the fridge from deflating as fast by pressing the cap back on (This is an old trick, not the real new trick).
3. When beer is done drinkin, wash the bottle as best as you can (and even boiling water if you prefer).
4. Apply the cap (also washed in boiling water, and in fact use the capping tool and cap it on. Wait, dont get ahead of me - yes the insides are clean and sealed off and if done when bottle is hot it will suck the cap down tight tight tight and seal like a mofo - yes good, but still not quite the magic trick I'm dropping.
5. These bottles can now be washed on the outside in bleech or boiling water or something and you can remove the labels without the risk of that crap getting inside the bottle.
6. On bottling day, pry off the caps, star san the insides etc etc and bottle away, normal procedure except for prying off a cap.

The best part is, it only takes a few extra seconds at each beer while being drunk. I'll bet it takes longer to walk to the recycle bin to toss the bottle (atleast it does in my case, cos those damn things are 10' from the back door. So need to open 2 pesky doors and open the stupid bin and drop it, and then I need to wash hands etc cos I touched the trash.

Boom, now you have nice clean label free bottles for the cost of $0.
Sounds like a lot of trouble. And #2 just doesn't happen. Who doesn't finish their beer? :bott:

Crown caps are cheap where I live. Old caps in the recycle bin hopefully get re-cycled and made into something new. In the trash, they probably go to a land fill to sit for ages. If re-using stuff is your thing, then swing top bottles I'd think would be for you.

While I agree there is probably some life in re-using old caps, why would anyone want to risk having several bottles that didn't seal correctly because they were re-used once too often?

If I lived where crown caps are expensive, then maybe I'd have another view on the issue.

Yea caps are cheap, some people dropped a few 1000 on me for free recently too. But using that original cap to cap an empty and boiling water cleaned fresh new bottle just so label glue and paper doesn't get in = Genius.
BTW #2 does happen, a lot, I drink 9% abv Voodoo's imperial IPA, and I do finish it, but take several hours per bottle. How you keep it cold in that time ??? Remember 1 12oz of that = 2 1/4 bud lights.

Voodoo's imperial IPA, and I do finish it, but take several hours per bottle. How you keep it cold in that time ???
I don't. I don't care for ice cold beer. 50 - 55°F is ideal for me. I've drank it completely unrefrigerated in summertime temps.

I don't. I don't care for ice cold beer. 50 - 55°F is ideal for me. I've drank it completely unrefrigerated in summertime temps.

Inspite of the temperature preference any beer I'd like to drink - I like to take my time with. Much like meat, bourbon and women, if its worth doing, it definitely worth doing very very very very well. Maybe you can drink 48 of these and do 80 women in 1 night, sorry, not me, I can barely drink 2 in 1 evening and eat tree women and drink more shhhteak ... sorry what.

Inspite of the temperature preference any beer I'd like to drink - I like to take my time with. Much like meat, bourbon and women, if its worth doing, it definitely worth doing very very very very well. Maybe you can drink 48 of these and do 80 women in 1 night, sorry, not me, I can barely drink 2 in 1 evening and eat tree women and drink more shhhteak ... sorry what.
I think you've had a few already and are babbling incoherently! :drunk:

Enjoy !
:bigmug:

I think you've had a few already and are babbling incoherently! :drunk:

Enjoy !
:bigmug:

Dude, would it be funny if I didn't ???
In any case, yea, I have caps a plenty, but I also have these caps I just popped right there. I put away the bottling equipment on non bottling days. Why ??? Cos it eats up a lot of time and space and my wife doesn't like it. I do it on days when she's away. So I can leave the new caps in their sealed pack and reuse the one I just opened while bottle is saved from its own label and glue bits.
PS: I give away a lot of bottles with my mead. Wholly 1/2 of them for the first batch (that was a phenomenal success) and 0 of the 2nd that was a flop. This batch has a big bunch of people awaiting it. Any bottle I give away, I lose bottle and cap. This way I'm looking at 50 new caps instead of 100 per batch.

Thinking a bit more about it - My brew night is also my bottling night (or has been so far) I am only on batch 3 of my mead and batch 2 of Kombucha. So I have an incentive to shift the onus out of those nights. This may take 2 hrs over 10 weeks, but may save me just 1hr on bottlling/brew night, and on that day 1 hr a lot more valuable than 2hrs in 10 weeks.

Ok after 2 bottles of this process. I took 20+ sips out of my first bottle. And maybe a shade less out of bottle 2, only because the last 2-3 oz I poured into a frozen rocks glass. I keep a bunch of coffee cups, rocks and larger glasses in the freezer at all ties. So I had these bottles with their still intact caps. I have a electric kettle that will boil water in seconds. So the bottles were filled 3/4 with boiling water. Then the original cap was reinstalled. It was shook vigorously to make sure no leaks. The label was removed with razor blade. 90% was off. Then the glue and remaining paper was scrubbed off under hot tap water. Then the cap removed and boiling water dumped out. Then cap was reapplied. And 4 hrs and 2hrs hence, the cap is now concave with the vacuum. Fantastic. These will be stored in the original box till they're needed to bottle.
Theory to practical, and I cant say I've theorized anything as well. No I have ... but lets not digress.

New refinement on the process. And it involves capping and removing and capping 3-4 times per bottle. Definitely better to reuse the old cap.
The label will scrape off mostly leaving glue lines right as it comes out of the fridge, cos its had the cold and moisture wet it (yes my fridge has a drip of water in the back. I'll be moving it outside onto the patio when the deck over it gets built, a month or less hopefully) and let the thing just flood and drip out the bottom. I have all these bottles laid out in the back catching that drip. So The label comes out leaving glue lines. Over the next 2 hrs I drink it with it being sandwiched between frozen vegetables in the freezer with it recapped each time. Then when its done, I cap it again, I use hot tap water inside and out scrubbing off the remaining paper and glue with scrubber. Then I dump all the water out from inside it and put the clean on the outside and inside bottles away.
Then when 8-12 bottles are collected up (which is where I am now) I boil water in my kettle, and a 1/4 teaspoon of starsan goes in the funnel in bottle #1. That gets poured to #2, then to #2, then to #4 and so on. Boiling water starsan runs through 1-12 and then put the caps in that. Then plain boiling water goes through them 1-2 times. No need to cap in the middle of this run. Then get the caps out of star san and cap the still hot bottles. Then put em in the original box (to keep from getting dusty on the outside). Then on bottling day, you pry off all the caps and toss em and bottle with fresh new caps. This needs maybe 4-5 uses of a cap, its good for that purpose, just not good enough to make a seal against high pressure in the bottle. Low pressure in the bottle its much better at sealing.

Oh of late, I've started scraping the label off the bottles before even opening them. I have a stock pot that holds 12 exactly, and I put warm water and a couple drops of dish soap for 6-12 hrs. The labels literally fall off, and one light scrub and the glue comes off.

Back