Reuse yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trippin

Reaction score
So, I've got a fat tire clone in the primary, used
Wyeast 1214? Belgian Abby . Was wondering how this yeast would work with an IPA that's up
next.

In a technical sense, sure: 1214 will ferment IPA wort.

In the recipe formation sense: 1214 isn't all that clean, so no, it wouldn't be ideal. Have you had New Belgium's Belgo IPA? That's what you'd end up with. If you like that beer, then giddy up.

Kinda what I was thinking. I'll be looking for that Belgian IPA this weekend.

have you tried a Belgian IPA? it's a style that is growing in popularity and many seem to like it, but there appear to be an equal number of detractors. i'm one of them - i don't think that the belgian yeast esters go well with a strong hop flavor. i'd recommend trying something from the style to make sure belgian + hoppy is your thing. definitely makes a very flavorful beer.

FYI Fate Tire doesn't use a belgian yeast, it's made with a clean american ale yeast. your beer should be very tasty - i'll be FT would be improved with a belgian yeast!

Haven't tried a Belgian IPA . My LHBS puts the clone kits together and has a suggested yeast.
I'll head up there and get the right yeast, but an $8 yeast turns into $100 real quick anytime I go there LOL.

Back