Reuse Sluggish Wyeast 3711?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddyMar3

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I brewed 10 gal of Raison de Saison from the BCS book for a friends wedding. Despite pitching a very large starter, fermentation was sluggish and I've had to crank the temp above 80 in order for it to get past the infamous 1.036 sticking point. The beer is now in the 1.020's and is making its way down, albeit slowly.

I was thinking that it would make sense to take advantage of the yeast cake in my conical after this beer is done and brew another Saison (all grain this time) for my own wedding. I'm just a bit concerned about how sluggish this yeast has been.

Should I rack right on top of the (sluggish) yeast cake from this beer when it's done or should I make a new starter and hope to get a better fermentation? I'd love to save myself the $9 for yeast and the time it takes to make a starter if possible.

3724 is a slow ferment if you run it in the 70s. It seems like most have success starting in the 80s and running up to the 90s. I wouldn't pitch on the cake. Pull off a calculated volume.

Back