reuse grain bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nootay

Reaction score
Does anyone reuse their grain bags? I tried cleaning one out yesterday and worked on it for a good 20 minutes and it still has grain stuck in it. Do you have any tricks to clean them quickly?

If they are those "cheap" ones, the ones like cheesecloth, they should just be thrown away. They won't hold up to cleaning. But the mesh ones, for grain or for hops, are easy. Turn it inside out, to rinse off the big chunks, then throw them in the laundry or the top rack of the dishwasher. I just toss mine in the laundry with my dish towels.

yea the ones i have now are the muslin bags. Im getting ready to order some stuff, are you talking about the nylon bags? They are about $5 each. They are the ones you just wash?

yea the ones i have now are the muslin bags. Im getting ready to order some stuff, are you talking about the nylon bags? They are about $5 each. They are the ones you just wash?

You can wash the muslin ones, too. I think most of mine are the nylon mesh. I use them for wine, too, since they can hold my pulpy fruit. They clean up very nicely.

crap, i might not even need these. if im converting to all grain, will i ever need to use grain bags again for anything? besides dry hopping maybe?

I have been using my nylon grain bags for hop sacks in the boil...they seem to work pretty well though they do get stained from the wort. Whereas I prefer to just toss the hops in, my whirlpool set up requires the use of bags.

You can get nylon bags super cheap at a hardware store. Ask for "paint strainers".

+1 to this. I use the 5 gallon paint strainer bags to filter out hop material and other stuff when I rack or transfer. Inexpensive and very easy to clean.

Back