Results: Bottling in Pop Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed Ed's wheat recipe a few weeks ago. I actually bottled after 8 days. There was still a fairly thick layer of krausen but I did it anyways.

Cleaning out so 8 or 9 bottles was less of a pain than 50 but it still was annoying.

So the results: They were great! I purposely did a wheat that wouldnt be in the bottles very long, so this might not work as well for most other styles. This will be the last time I use bleach as a sanitizer Ill be picking up some StarSan on my next trip to the HBS. It was a little hard to get the bleach out of the plastic bottles so my results would probably be a little better if I had used OxiClean and StarSan and not a highly scented dish soap and a bit too strong bleach solution. I didnt notice any oxidation at all, but again it hasnt been in the bottles very long.

I plan on bottling quite a few more batches in this same manner with the improvements in procedure I mentioned. If I think of it next time I bottle some in glass bottles and some in plastic bottles and see if I can tell the difference.

But in summary GREAT RESULTS AND I HIGHLY RECOMMEND GIVING THIS A TRY!!!!!!

I've been bottling some of my batches in plastic water bottles, like Aquafina and Dasani. They work great. One batch of well-carbonated stout made the plastic bottle caps bulge, but the bottles work wonderfully. Plus, they were free!:)

Back