Restaurant Tragedy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PDawg

Reaction score
Anyone else ever have one? I am not talking about a hair in your food at Waffle house. I am talking about you just wanted to curl up in a ball on the floor and weep openly.

I feel I can talk about this now it’s been 7 months.

Prior to my latest Government sponsored trip, my wife and I decided to go out for a really good meal that we didn’t have to cook.

We chose our local Japanese Steakhouse. We eat in the Sushi Bar at this establishment several times a month because they have really good Sushi.

On the night in question however we decided to eat in the main dining room.
My wife and I are shown to this table with 10 other people and place our orders. Having heard the rave reviews I decided to pay the $30.00 for a Kobe Beef steak (Not something i can often afford to do). All is happy. I have a beer and I am watching this Cook throw peoples food in the air. No problems. He pulls out my steak, it’s marvelous, well marbled, I think one of the prettier cuts of meat I have ever seen. The cook throws the meat on the flattop and my mouth starts watering. This is where it all went very bad. He reaches over and grabs a bottle of Soy Sauce and in slow motion dumps 4 gallons of soy sauce over my steak. Inside my head I am screaming, again in slow motion, NOOOOOOOOO. At this point I feel like that Peanut Puppet of Jeff Dunham’s. I look at the steak, look at the cook, look at the steak, look at the cook. I finally break the trance. I look over at my wife and she is giving me the same pitiful look she would give me if my best Hound dog had died.
My wife reaches over, tugs on the Waitresses sleeve and very calmly says, “He’s going to need another beer”. Waitress says Ma’am he still has most of his beer. My wife says go get him another one, when you get back he’ll be done with that one.
The Steak was beautiful, cooked to perfection, and it tasted exactly like a salt lick.

Ahhh, the one that got away.

Anyone else want to cleanse themselves of their experience?

that's a shame, almost made me weep, kobe beef shouldn't need much of anything but maybe some salt and pepper

should have stuck with the Nigiri

I tend to avoid places where your dinner is combined with (for better or for worse) any form of entertainment. Any chef that performs such an atrocity to Kobe beef in the name of "entertaining their crowd" deserves to have his face dragged across the burner top he just committed murder upon. There's a reason Kobe cattle are hand massaged and fed as much as they want, and there's a reason you paid $30 for a piece of dead cow. Don't F with perfection.

Edit: with that said, my parents once forced me to go with them to Medieval Times during a childhood trip to LA. (Medieval Times is a joust/"royal feast" type event held nightly.) Even at age 12, I thought it was complete and utter crap.

Every time I go to a Japanese steak house, I'm waiting for Leslie Nielsen to bust in. It just seems too perfect not to happen.

Why would they do that? I hate ordering steak and the wait person ask "Did you want anything to mess up the taste of meat? Cheese for instance? Maybe some Ketchup? You know we got tons of stuff to mess that steak up real good for you."

PDawg,

First of all thank you for your service, secondly I know exactly how you feel. I had a very similar experience, I rarely get beef @ any restaurant, I tend to order seafood the majority of the time. I like beef cooked over hardwood or hardwood charcoal. So I general forgo the beef and any potential disappointment. That being said this is one of the reasons.

A number of years ago a group of my wife's coworkers talked us into dinner at a Japanese steakhouse, my wife, son and I are all rather adventurous when it comes to food. I should have stuck with my gut, but I ordered the filet and it was one of the most beautiful 2 inch thick pieces of beef I had seen to that point of my life. Then the performance artist /chef asked me' "how would you like your steak". "Medium rare", I responded. It was at this point that things went awry.

Filet hits the grill with a mouth watering sizzle, a minute or so later he flips it, a little early in my opinion. After another minute I understand why. He then grabs his knife and fork and proceeds to butterfly my beautiful piece of meat. I was speechless, but he was not done. He continued to turn this gorgeous piece of beef into little cubes of over cooked, over seasoned beef (soy, ginger and msg). When he was done the beautiful cut of meat had be reduced to what I can only describe as "Fancy Feast" it looked like a steaming pile of process caned cat food. Sorry for the visual.

Never again!

I guess thats how they make them. But it sure hurt my feelings. That was a really nice steak.

You wouldn't go to a steakhouse and ask for "orange beef," would you?

I'd rather have a well-cooked piece of steak, too, but hibachi-grill places are a lot of fun and I enjoy the food. I just know that it's going to be cut up, maybe butterflied, and probably loaded with sauce and other seasonings. Just how it is.

Different food = different culture. It's OK. It's kind of nice that things from different places in the world are, you know, a little different.

You wouldn't go to a steakhouse and ask for "orange beef," would you?

I'd rather have a well-cooked piece of steak, too, but hibachi-grill places are a lot of fun and I enjoy the food. I just know that it's going to be cut up, maybe butterflied, and probably loaded with sauce and other seasonings. Just how it is.

Different food = different culture. It's OK. It's kind of nice that things from different places in the world are, you know, a little different.

I agree, and different is great. It was my first time @ a Japanees steakhouse and my last time ordering a "steak". I felt a little misled by the name.

I agree, and different is great. I was my first time @ a Japanees steakhouse and my last time ordering a "steak". I felt a little misled by the name.

Right with you Brother, I thought it would be a crime to do that to Kobe. Thats why we have Sirloin!:mug:

Why would they do that? I hate ordering steak and the wait person ask "Did you want anything to mess up the taste of meat? Cheese for instance? Maybe some Ketchup? You know we got tons of stuff to mess that steak up real good for you."

I agree with all the crazy toppings, but last time I was on a trip for work, I thought, eh, why not, and got a piece of pepperjack tossed on top. Now, it didn't come even close to draping the entire thing so I had several bites without cheese, and some with, but I did enjoy it.

I always get the Filet and Chicken when we go to Japanese Steak House. I order it medium and I love the little cubes. But they're never over cooked or over seasoned. Must just be the one we go to? There is a little soy sauce but you don't really taste it. Just soft little cubes of beef greatness. Now the chicken, that's usually dry.

Edit: with that said, my parents once forced me to go with them to Medieval Times during a childhood trip to LA. (Medieval Times is a joust/"royal feast" type event held nightly.) Even at age 12, I thought it was complete and utter crap.

I'd forgotten about them. Curse you for the reminder! What a waste of time and money!

Gotta agree with the_bird here. That's just how they do it. I don't like my steak like that either, I'd rather save the premium steak for a steakhouse that dry-ages their own (nomnom). I always associate Japan with seafood anyways so shrimp it is for me.

Between the sushi/soups/tempura/appetizers I rarely make it to the entree section of most Japanese menus.

Imagine Medieval Times with allergies to animals.:( Mmmmm, eating in a barn; yummy.

So, you went to a teppanyaki/sushi bar and decided to order from the teppanyaki menu the Kobe steak. And the chef then proceeded to prepare for you, wait for it,

Teppenyaki!

Oh. Yes. I do so hate it when I goto restaurants and they prepare exactly what I ordered. :eek:

FTR tho', I do agree that most Teppanyaki joints do go a bit heavy on the Soy Sauce and that Kobe shouldn't need it at all. Maybe try a few more place with the Hibachi and order to taste.

So, you went to a teppanyaki/sushi bar and decided to order from the teppanyaki menu the Kobe steak. And the chef then proceeded to prepare for you, wait for it,

No if the menu would have said that I would have asked if that entails ruining the most noble of steaks. The menu said " Kobe Beef Ribeye" cooked to order.:)

Also, sorry to break it to you but I really highly doubt that it was true kobe ribeye for only $30.

Meh. I have had the Kobe beef before from a few different classier Japan style joints. Not impressed. I'd be willing to bet that in Japan it is amazing but once it has been shipped here it isn't much different than a really good, fresh cut of marbled beef.

No matter. You just have to understand that at a Hibachi Teppanyaki joint, that is how they do it. Sauced up and chopped into chopstickable bits.

i had the same experience at a similar joint with my inlaws. then i had the same dinner prepared at a different japanese steakhouse and it was delicious. it's all about the cook. though i usually just stick to the sushi.

Yeah. There is this too.

I had a Kobe burger that was $30 without the sides.

Tasted like chopped chuck. Prolly was too.
Yea, that does seem really cheap. I think the really good stuff is closer to $30 per ounce. Just recently had a Kobe burger @ a place called Burger Bar ('upscale' burgers and a fantastic craft/import beer selection). I can do better at home with ground chuck.

i had the same experience at a similar joint with my inlaws. then i had the same dinner prepared at a different japanese steakhouse and it was delicious. it's all about the cook. though i usually just stick to the sushi.

Yes, it is all about the cook. I love teppyanki and have had some that was really good and some that was really bad, both at the same place. That doesn't change the fact of what it is though, cut up and sauced meat.

When it comes to good beef, it can be hard to beat a good Brazilian steakhouse. Man alive, when they come around with the giant skewers....mmmmmmmMMMmmmm!

The Japanese kick ass with fish and seafood, but for a good hunk of red meat, nah.

When it comes to good beef, it can be hard to beat a good Brazilian steakhouse. Man alive, when they come around with the giant skewers....mmmmmmmMMMmmmm!

The Japanese kick ass with fish and seafood, but for a good hunk of red meat, nah.

Oh god. + One Million

I've had the pleasure of eating at Texas De Brazil in TN. $80 for just me, but god I'd do it again!!

Oh god. + One Million

I've had the pleasure of eating at Texas De Brazil in TN. $80 for just me, but god I'd do it again!!

It's just so hard to choose one from a Brazillion.

Yes. Those joints are the best when it comes to all you can eat MEAT!

While I have had bad experiences at restaurants and can understand your disappointment, it is hardly the restaurants fault. If you go to an Asian restaurant and expect them to prepare you and American style steak, that is pretty odd....

I absolutely adore most American steak. Although I like to try other foods, I still have a steak of one kind or another 90% of the time we eat out. I just know that if I try something different I will regret that decision and wish I had the steak instead.

I have never, ever proved myself wrong, so 10% of the meals I have out are steakless and a personal tragedy for me.

I absolutely adore most American steak. Although I like to try other foods, I still have a steak of one kind or another 90% of the time we eat out. I just know that if I try something different I will regret that decision and wish I had the steak instead.

I have never, ever proved myself wrong, so 10% of the meals I have out are steakless and a personal tragedy for me.

I do the same thing. MY wife "Why don't you try something different?"
"No. I want steak."
"But you always have steak"
"I like steak."

I'm going to +1 the Data comment.

Maybe when it said Kobe Beef Ribeye, Kobe possibly the name of the restaurant? At least that's what the Tapanyaki place here is called. Could see how they could get away with confusing the crap out of you with that.

I just got home from the grocery store and bought everything I need to do both chicken AND STEAK teppanyaki.

What you ask is "How much are you charging me for this piece of sh-- on my plate? The next time you want to fu-- a piece of meat, do it on someone else's tab. Not mine." This story got me mad just reading about it.

I don't eat steak at restaurants anymore.

I sear mine 60 seconds a side at 700 degrees, then remove to rest for 20 minutes. Then return to grill to dwell at 400 degrees for 3-4 minutes a side for Med-Rare or Medium, perfect every time.

T-Bones.jpg

What you ask is "How much are you charging me for this piece of sh-- on my plate? The next time you want to fu-- a piece of meat, do it on someone else's tab. Not mine." This story got me mad just reading about it.

Or better yet know what you are ordering before you order it. Unlike most people think in this country, not everyone in the world does everything our way. If you are going to go to a JAPANESE steakhouse maybe you should know what you are going to be getting first.

That is almost like ordering sashimi and getting pissed because the fish is raw.

Oh wow, I feel better about myself now,,,Guess you didn't want to pony up for the $15 Fries from France.

I honestly can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Back