Restaurant beer inconsistency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewno

Reaction score
Does it annoy you as much as it does me when it comes to having a beer while out ? I think beer glasses should be washed separately at the bar only and taken special care of. I get so many different off flavors (not to mention the dreaded chilled/iced glass) that it makes me not want to order out sometimes.

A strange thing happened while I was down Rehoboth Delaware. I live in PA and Yuengling is brewed there. I like Yuengling and it's a fall back for me once I find there is no craft beer or Sam Adams or something at the establishment.
But when I was in Rehoboth, every Yuengling I had, no matter where I had it, had the same "odd" taste to it. It really wasn't enjoyable at all. I just couldn't put my finger on it. I started to think PA was sending DE the second hand stuff:D

Thank heaven Dogfish Head brewpub was there to save me:mug:

Tommy

"Yea, uhhh could you take the glass half-full of water and stick it in a microwave until the water boils? Then pour that out and THEN put your cold-ass beer in?"

Cold beer hurts meh teeth!

Brewno said:
Thank heaven Dogfish Head brewpub was there to save me:mug:

Tommy

MMM, DFH!!

It could have been a bad batch from the brewery. However there are so many variables that can affect the brew once it has left the brewery. Im a strong believer in brewpubs(and fortunately i live in Oregon where there are brewpubs everywhere)....this is the way beer should be treated, brewed fresh, handled carefully, stored properly and poured with love. But even at that you will get an off brew...just the mystic of hand crafter beer!

Last night I went out to eat with SWMBO and while waiting to be seated we wandered up to the bar for a drink. I decided to have a Sam Adams October fest and asked if they had any "unfrosted" mugs. She said yes and brought me my brew. When I grabbed the mug I was happy because I could tell the beer wasn't very cold which I thought was great. But I'll be damned, you just can't win.
Either you get the frosted mug and have frozen taste buds and flavorless beer or you get a room temp mug that leaves the beer with off flavors from soap!! I guess that's another reason they frost them, to hide that crap the fact that they don't rinse them well enough. Or that they wash them with soap in the first place.
I was very disappointed. I think I'll stick with bottles unless I'm at a brewpub that pays more attention to their brew.
Then again there's always my homebrew.;)

Tommy

i've found the trouble with a lot of places i've recently been to, do not know how to handle the tap. and i question if some of the lines are clean.

Back