Restarting a "finished" fermentation for bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markowe

Reaction score
I got some raw, dry cider from my local friendly cider microbrewer - he makes much more commercial stuff, but let me have some of the raw stuff to bottle myself.

He's already fermented it completely dry and although he says it hasn't been pasteurised, I tried to revitalise a small quantity by adding raw apple juice and storing somewhere warm for a day and there doesn't seem to be any yeast action any more.

I want to bottle it but also carbonate it to make an English-style dry, mildly carbonated cider.

I am thinking to get a pint of fresh starter going with a bit of the cider, a bit of raw apple, maybe some sugar and some fresh yeast, mix it into the 10-15 pints of cider that I have, add more sugar to get the right sort of ballpark for bottle carbonation (i.e. to total about a teaspoon per pint max.), get it all well mixed and just bottle it.

Does that sound like a plan? Or should I maybe leave it in the "primary" for a day or two to make sure it's kicked off? Does it even have to be the same yeast, really, as it's just for carbonation purposes (doubt I will have the exact same yeast anyway)?

Back