Restarted fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inodoro_Pereyra

Reaction score
Ok, so, a few days ago, I decided to make a mini batch of improvised mead. You can read the details here.
Now, as you can read in that thread, that batch was kinda weird from the beginning. Then, 48 Hrs from pitching the yeast, after a very strong fermentation, all signs of activity were gone. When I went to sleep the night before last, it was already clearing quite nicely, and you could see through the top half of the liquid.
Then, when I woke up yesterday, it was completely cloudy again, and now it's back to fermenting!!!:eek:

Is this normal?:confused:

Ok, so, a few days ago, I decided to make a mini batch of improvised mead. You can read the details here.
Now, as you can read in that thread, that batch was kinda weird from the beginning. Then, 48 Hrs from pitching the yeast, after a very strong fermentation, all signs of activity were gone. When I went to sleep the night before last, it was already clearing quite nicely, and you could see through the top half of the liquid.
Then, when I woke up yesterday, it was completely cloudy again, and now it's back to fermenting!!!:eek:

Is this normal?:confused:

So I read your previous thread....never ever, shake a wort or mead...the krausen contains proteins, hops and dead yeast...if you stir/shake it bake in to the wort/mead it will result in harsh aftertastes.
As for clarity/versus non...mixing it up will result in the cloudiness you see, the yeast are trying to consume heavier sugars that have fallen to the bottom which are generally consumed in the conditioning phase.

I knew about not mixing the krausen in again, but, the thing is, if you look at the pictures, it seems the "nastiness" stayed stuck to the glass.
The fact is I didn't really "shake it", but more like I gently swirled it a bit. Of course I won't know until I taste it, but I'm fairly confident that won't be an issue.

Now, what puzzles me is that after I swirled it, it fermented aggressively for about 48 Hrs, until it stopped, and started to clear up, fast. Then, a few hours later, without me even touching it at all, it got cloudy again, and now it's back bubbling...

I knew when I swirled it it was gonna help fermentation. My question is why did it die 2 days later, to then restart all on its own?

My only theory is that it slowed down after a vigorous fermentation and when you swirled it the heavy sugars that drop down to the bottom were brought back up...add this to the fact that you introduced yeast that had not been in the liquid, and all of this caused your cloud, it should be settled today or tomorrow based on dry yeast and there normal fermentation habits. My only concern (like I mentioned) would be harsh after taste you got from the krausen...I hope you dont get it and everything works out ok!
Happy Brewing!

Back