Request for opinions on a recipe i am working on for a blonde ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sud-Paw

Reaction score
Fellow home brewers,

I am looking for opinions on my latest recipe. The ingredients are as follows;

Amt
Name
Type
#
%/IBU
8 lbs
Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM)
Grain
88.9 %
12.0 oz
Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
Grain
8.3 %
4.0 oz
Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
Grain
2.8 %
1.00 oz
Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
Hop
16.0 IBUs
1.00 tsp
Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
Fining
-
1.00 oz
Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min

Sorry for the way is pasted on the page.

I was think of a 75-90 minute mash at 150 or 151 degrees. 90 minute boil.

I am looking for opinions on what yeast would be good. Thoughts on the grain bill, and hop schedule. This recipe is formulated to be an everyday, cost effective beer.

Any and all input is appreciated!

Das Boot !!!

I guess I will use trial and error. No worries gents.

Cheers and happy brewing!!

if you were going Belgian:
WLP550 Belgian Ale
WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale
WLP575 Belgian Style Ale Yeast Blend

or the Wyeast equivalents

grain bill & hops look similar to the Belgian Ale (WLP550) I'm finishing up. I thought I had totally screwed it, but have gotten positive reviews from my club.

Grog

I was not intentionally going Belgian, but I will look into the Belgian beers recipes. Thanks for the input. Originally I thought my recipe was similar to a Kolch, which I hear is tricky to brew. Thanks again

Cheers

I was originally slated for the Kolch yeast and began to second guess myself. Thanks for the reassurance.

Happy brewing

The Wyeast Kolsch strain is great. I've used it a few times and like it a lot. If you go that route I'd just say that it ferments better at the lower end of the temperature range. That and use a blowoff tube right off the bat. Almost every time I've used it I've had a blowoff, it's a real topcropper. Also, don't be afraid if the krausen doesn't drop for awhile, just rack from underneath if need be.

my first thought when someone posts a recipe and asks for advice is "well... it will make beer"

I don't post that, because it comes off sounding a-holish, but it is nevertheless true

whether it makes GOOD beer or not is the question, but you have to be the judge of that

my last batch was an AIPA and I'm formulating the recipe and I think I've got it down and I'm thinking about what would make it stand out and that very day, my LHBS owner posts Suggestions To Make Your IPA Different

on my own, I had already followed one of the tips, I followed one more and I'm pretty happy with the results 4 days into fermentation

think the biggest advice to give is that if the #s are in the style range (if you're brewing to style) and it sounds good, and it's not totally out of whack with what you've learned or read here on HBT, and you stick to the procedures that have worked for you before, then you will probably enjoy the end result

my first thought when someone posts a recipe and asks for advice is "well... it will make beer"

I don't post that, because it comes off sounding a-holish, but it is nevertheless true

whether it makes GOOD beer or not is the question, but you have to be the judge of that

my last batch was an AIPA and I'm formulating the recipe and I think I've got it down and I'm thinking about what would make it stand out and that very day, my LHBS owner posts Suggestions To Make Your IPA Different

on my own, I had already followed one of the tips, I followed one more and I'm pretty happy with the results 4 days into fermentation

think the biggest advice to give is that if the #s are in the style range (if you're brewing to style) and it sounds good, and it's not totally out of whack with what you've learned or read here on HBT, and you stick to the procedures that have worked for you before, then you will probably enjoy the end result

I love this advice! I actually heard someone at Northern Brewer tell a person "It will make beer" when they asked about a recipe they had come up with. The guy followed up by saying almost exactly what you did, basically that if they asked for advice and there was something really wrong (like a pound of hops in a 5 gallon pale all or using 50% roast barley) he would point them against it but as long as it was close you should go for it.

I usually post recipes here after brewing to get advice on what others think so that I might know what to change if there is something I don't like when it's done.

Have you popped the recipe into software yet and checked on the color? I'm wondering if 8-9% Vienna will make it darker than you are looking for in a Blonde?

Three other thoughts for yeast for an American Blonde are US-05, WLP001 California Ale and WLP028 Edinburgh (fermented cool, around 60F). All will make nice, dry beers with a clean flavor profile, which is what you would want in an American Blonde.

Good luck with your brew!

I see what you mean, I was inferring that because it was exported from Beersmith, he did know what the SRM was

I plugged the recipe in and SRM is 3.7, so it's very light

i'm guessing that it's a 5 gallon recipe and 5 gallon boil.

Yes, the SRM is around 3, but I can't remember exactly, because I'm not near my computer. I do agree with the statement "It will make beer", and I like that way of thinking. Sometimes I get a bit caught up in the style guidelines. Too rigid and forget to be creative.

Beer Smith 2 has been a savior to my brews, and its a fun toy to just sit and play with.

Gents, I will look into those different yeast strains. Thanks for the input guys.

Cheers

Back