Reputable online stores for Kombucha mother

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Bradinator

Reaction score
Recently I have become interested in brewing my own Kombucha, starting with my own culture grown from a commercial brand. I have been finding it difficult to locate unpasteurized bottled Kombucha in my city (I don't even know if its sold in Canada at all to be honest) so I am starting to look online to buy my 'mother' culture.

I found a couple locals here in Calgary selling mothers for a few dollars but to be honest the idea of buying what is basically a living mold culture from some strangers home seems a risky proposition. I could be completely off-base and it could be quite safe...

Anyway, I am kind of stuck until I can get my hands on one of these cultures. My options seem to be order an unpasteurized brand from online (if I can), order a culture from a reputable store or buy it from the people selling it in the city.

Any advice on getting my starter culture would be appreciated!

OP
Bradinator

Bradinator

Reaction score
Answered my own question:

I went to the local Community Natural Foods and found that they do sell unpasteurized Kombucha. I whipped up my own 'SCOBY starter' batch last night which will hopefully grow into a disgusting mushroom by the end of the week.

matts

Reaction score
I've grown my own scobys and also purchased them. Purchasing is much quicker if you're looking to get a good supply going.

I've gotten two scobys from here and they are good quality.

http://www.happyherbalist.com

OP
Bradinator

Bradinator

Reaction score
I started one more batch to get the mother, but if this fails I may just break down and buy one of these starter kits. Thanks for the reference!

matts

Reaction score
It's cool to grow your own, all scobys are slightly different based on their history.

The one I got from that site is very strong. It was around $20 I think.

Hope it goes well!

Latest posts