Replacing Poppets Necessary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just bought two pin lock cornys (Coke - made in Italy), and I received 4 replacement poppets (universal style) with the kegs.
I noticed that the poppets that are currently in the posts (original to the kegs) have a little clip attached to them that locks into a notch on the inside of the post. It looks hard to remove.
My question is this: I know that there is an ancient O-ring attached to that poppet, but do I need to replace the entire thing? It is still quite springy, and I would like to leave it intact if I don't absolutely need to replace it. Even if I want to keep the poppet in lieu of the universal version, should I still replace the O-ring? Will I then ruin the clip keeping it in place?
Thanks
And is there any guide to removing this style of poppet?

The three poppet legs simply rest on a ledge carved into the post.
You can pop the legs off with a pry tool.

I don't think oem poppets have replaceable o-rings. None of mine do...

Cheers!

The three poppet legs simply rest on a ledge carved into the post.
You can pop the legs off with a pry tool.

I don't think oem poppets have replaceable o-rings. None of mine do...

Cheers!

So is it recommended to replace OEM poppets when first cleaning/refurbing the keg even if there are no leaks?

The poppet should just come out with a little wiggling with a small screwdriver or needle nose pliers , and ya if they sent you new poppets just use them as the orings on the original type cannot be changed and are probably dry rotted. You will wish you changed them if they fail and your 5 gallons of freshly kegged beer ran out all over your fridge.

Back