Replacing a beer tower.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msppilot

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with replacing the beer tower on a Nostalgia Electronics KRS-2100 kegerator? I received a new one as a Christmas present and the mounting plate is one inch larger in diameter then the original. There is a mounting bracket the tower screws into and if they make one for the larger diameter all I would have to do is buy that. This kegerator hold a 16 gal keg and I am not sure if it was ever meant to hold two 5 gal kegs. Although is does quite well. This part may not even be available if the kegerator was never meant to be used with two kegs. I could drill a few holes to mount the beer tower but do I have to worry about the cold leaking out if I do this? Will a good cyclone work to prevent this from happening? Anyone else have any other ideas of how I can mouth this. Thank for all the help.

Picture would be helpful.

Taking a stab in the dark, you should have no problem replacing your original single tap tower with a two tap tower. You can yes Great Stuff to fill any extra screw holes and you may want to use copper tubing to cool you beer line in the draft tower.

Picture would be helpful.

Taking a stab in the dark, you should have no problem replacing your original single tap tower with a two tap tower. You can yes Great Stuff to fill any extra screw holes and you may want to use copper tubing to cool you beer line in the draft tower.

Here is a picture of the new tower and the hole for the tubing. It is hard to tell from this picture but the new tower is an inch larger in diameter the the original. The mounting bracket I refereed to, of course broke into several pieces when I took it off. Of course the old one would not of worked anyway.

PC290066.jpg

That looks like a 3" tower and the hole looks like 2" or less.I would oversize the hole with a 3" hole saw to get the most air in the tower.The cooler the tower the better.Run a fan or copper tube up the tower with lines inside to cool lines.Youll find a thread here on how to do it.Watch for Freon lines when you drill although I dought the manufacturer ran the lines that close to the hole.Mark holes where you want to drill mounting screws and drill straight though fridge.Mount tower Forget about air leaking through screw holes,hit them with a little silicone,never going to make a difference.

You'll not be able to "oversize" the hole in your chiller using a hole saw..........There is no longer a pilot to center your hole saw.

When I upgraded my tower I screwed a thin piece of plywood over the 2" hole and then drilled through the center of that. The plywood gives the 3" hole saw a pilot to start.

I ended up not being able to enlarge the opening in the original hole. The actual opening of the inside of the tower was only about 1/2 inch larger than than the opening onthe kegeragor. What I ended up doing was using the original mounting screws from the original tower. They were shorter then the ones that came with the new tower and did not go all the way through. I just drilled 4 holes about 1/4 inch in the top, tapped the holes, and then mounted the new tower. Worked perfect.

Stealthcruiser said:
"msppilot"..........Who do you fly for?

Nobody currently. I was working in that direction before the economy turned. I have worked in the aviation business for the past 15 years. I was in airline operations for a while, now I work in aviation security as a federal regulator.

Back