Replacing a 3-prong plug with a 4-prong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelby

Reaction score
I was able to get a great deal on a HLT, but the plug doesn't match my current outlet. Here's the three-prong plug coming off the HLT:
OKWMD8z.jpg

Here's my current, four-prong outlet:
bJ3v6DT.jpg

Is it possible to just replace the three-prong plug with a four-prong? If so, how do I wire that considering that there are only three wires and the new plug needs four.

Thanks for your help!

Yep, should be a straight forward swap.

You'll simply need to connect the 2 line (hot) sides to the appropriate pins on your 4 prong plug, and the neutral prong to the neutral. The ground isn't used in the 3-prong plug, so it's likely going to be grounded to the kettle in this case. Assuming your 4-prong outlet is wired correctly, the two vertical blades on either side are hot, and the L shaped blade is neutral. The round (Or D shape in the case of the outlet) is the ground.

Yep, should be a straight forward swap.

You'll simply need to connect the 2 line (hot) sides to the appropriate pins on your 4 prong plug, and the neutral prong to the neutral. The ground isn't used in the 3-prong plug, so it's likely going to be grounded to the kettle in this case. Assuming your 4-prong outlet is wired correctly, the two vertical blades on either side are hot, and the L shaped blade is neutral. The round (Or D shape in the case of the outlet) is the ground.

The problem here is that there isn't a ground wire in the cord. There are only three wires. So I'm guessing I'd just leave the ground unconnected, but that's probably against code... What's the best route to take here?

I'm thinking I need to take a few more steps here. Having an ungrounded heating element submersed in water without a gfi breaker isn't going to be good. To the drawing boards...

I am going to guess someone used the neutral wire as the ground. In which case you would want to leave the neutral unconnected. I would look at what is going on at the other side of that cord.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Back