Replacement grain bags...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heinz57

Reaction score
Just got back from the LHBS...and I realized that I forgot to get grain bags.

The LHBS isn't too bad of a drive, but I would much rather just get something from the grocery store if it's possible. I've read that cheesecloth is a decent replacement, but I don't exactly where it's sold.

Or any other DIY grain bag replacements that anyone has come up with. Would panty hose work, or would the heat get to them?

Thanks.

Nick

Paint filters, 5 gallon size. Two will run you a couple bucks at HD or Lowes. They are nylon so they can be reused.

:mug:

Cheesecloth works well - I found a roll of stretchy tube cheesecloth (approx. 3" wide laying flat), cut a piece to fit the grains. For mini mashing, I found a deer bag (yes, for putting your dead deer in when hunting) that worked great cut in half. Without stretching it too much, was easily able to line a 2 gallon igloo cooler and hold over 4 lbs grain. Only cost about 1.50, and is nylon and washable. I have heard that cheap womens nylon stockings work well too. Any fairly fine mesh will do, just as long as it won't leach any dye or flavor into your brew.

Back