Replacement For Flaked Corn

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mr_stout

Reaction score
Since flaked corn is not an steepable grain that I can use in an extract recipe. What can I use to replace it?

And what would replace flaked barley?

JimRausch

JimRMaine
Reaction score
Both flaked corn and flaked barley need to be mashed with a malt with a high enough diastatic power to convert the starch to sugar. If you use them in an extract batch then all you'll get out of them is a starchy haze. As far as I know, there is no alternative. What recipe are you trying to convert?

OP
mr_stout

mr_stout

Reaction score
I am not converting a recipe in particular however I have seen many recipes that I would love to try but cannot since I cannot do all-grain.

JimRausch

JimRMaine
Reaction score
Can you do a partial mash? ie. mix together 2-3 lbs of grains in a mesh bag and hold them at 145-150* for 30-60 minutes? If that is possible for you, then you can mash the corn +/or barley with malted barley and get all the benefits of a full AG mash.

OP
mr_stout

mr_stout

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Jim.

OP
mr_stout

mr_stout

Reaction score
What about grits? Can those be steeped along with roasted barley, chocolate malt, and black malt?

RM-MN

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am not converting a recipe in particular however I have seen many recipes that I would love to try but cannot since I cannot do all-grain.
Please tell us why you cannot do all grain. It really can be nearly as easy as extract. I use the pot that I had used for extract (5 gallons) and a paint strainer bag to do 2 1/2 gallon batches all grain (BIAB). If you can measure water, heat water to 160F, and have a coat to insulate the pot, you can do all grain.