Replace sensor STC-1000

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John67

John
Reaction score
I have an STC-1000. For my fermentation I have a different boiler and another fermentation cabinet, so that the cable of the temperature sensor is too short. I still have a sensor as in the picture. Could I use it in combination with the TC-1000 or would the registration no longer be reliable?

20200412_143252.jpg

or can I extend the cable of the original sensor with impunity?

Assuming your controller uses an NTC 10K type sensor you would need to match the specific sensor as there are numerous resistance curves available but your controller only knows how to deal with a specific model/curve.

If you can't find the specific model type needed you'd be better off extending the original cable, which you can do without issue...

Cheers!

I have extended the sensor of my STC-1000.

As test the cable of the sensor of one of my 2 STC-1000's extended. I glued both sensors to the barrel in my refrigerator. At first the registration seemed to be the same, but now it seems that the two sensors agree on one occasion and another time there is a half degree difference.

(All settings are equal)

Anyone have an idea what's going wrong?

The stated accuracy of a typical STC-1000 is +/-1C. If they agree within 0.5C they are working great.

What I would be more concerned about is how they match a known good thermometer.

Back