Repitching Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA (mashed at 154F) 2 weeks ago with an OG of 1.063 and pitched 1 package of London Ale III (no starter). To say fermentation was less than vigorous is an understatement. After 1 week it was down to 1.030, 4 days later 1.021. At this point I warmed the temp to 72F and gently swirled my bucket. Today at the 2 week mark it's still sitting at 1.021. There's still a layer of yeast/krausen on top of the beer, but that seems common with this yeast strain. My plan now is to make a small starter, about .5 liter, and pitch that, but the question is what yeast should I use? Stick with London Ale III or switch to WLP001?

I have never mashed at 154 F, so I don't know how much unfermentable sugars you get with that. 1.021 FG(67% attenuation seems low).

I mash all IPAs at 150 or below.

LA III says 71-75% attenuation, so with the high mash temp. I suspect you are there. I would not expect WLP001 to do much better.

What specialty grains did you use?? They may also contribute to the high FG.

If you want to bring it down further, I think you need to use a higher attenuating yeast. A Belgian, maybe 3711. Don't wotty about any new yeast affecting flavor, as it will be small due to the low level of sugars left.

WLP001 is not going to do well in a high alcohol environment (you're at 5.51%). You'll need something like WLP099. It will take a week or two to do its job, and may dry the beer out a bit if you let it go too long, but it works great!

Also, agreed with previous poster regarding mashing lower on your next IPA to get fewer unfermentable sugars.

Lol, 001 would do fine. I'd guess between using high floccing yeast and not using a starter your yeast pooped out on you.

I'm actually drinking an 11.2% I brewed with Chico and it didn't even blink.

That said 099 would work, too.

No specialty malts. I pitched an active starter of US05 late last night so we'll see.

Not sure why you're saying Chico doesn't work well in high abv, I've used it in 10% beer without issues.

Just trusting my LHBS employees, and that's what they've told me. Thanks for letting me know, as I always keep a chico strain in my fridge. Sorry for the misinformation

Back