Repitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagg

Reaction score
I am going to draw yeast from the fermentor with a large syringe today, I have 6, 60ml syringes, without the needle of course, I checked Mr. Malty pitching calculator, and it said I need 120ml of yeast slurry, so I am going to draw the yeast from the fermentor after I keg this batch of pale ale. I will then cap the 6 syringes and put them in the fridge overnight. I am going to brew a 16.5 gallon batch of IIPA in the morning, chill it , then squirt 2 60ml syringes into each of the 3 fermentors, anyone see any problem with this? Should I just leave the yeast syringes at ptching temps, or actually refrigerate it overnight? Thanks in advance.

I think your method sounds fine, though if you have an extra syringe I'd fill it as well... never hurts to have a little extra yeast if something goes wrong.

I'd refrigerate too, and then pull them out as you begin boiling.

I think your method sounds fine, though if you have an extra syringe I'd fill it as well... never hurts to have a little extra yeast if something goes wrong.

I'd refrigerate too, and then pull them out as you begin boiling.
Good idea kanz, I actually have several 20ml syringes, I might as well fill them up to, and I assume I can refrigerate them, how long will they last in the fridge?

Everyone has a different opinion on how long yeast can "last".
2-3 weeks is pretty safe for viability.
Any longer than that most people suggest a yeast starter. And i always smell and taste my yeast starter for off-flavors.

+1 to Almighty's comments.

I think your syringe method is really only practical when you're going to be pitching from the syringes within a couple days. If it's going to be longer, then you should do the typical yeast harvesting method and save up a few jars of 100mL each. Even then you're encouraged to use the yeast within 2-3 weeks. After that you'll definitely have to do some building up with starters.

Thanks for the replies, I pitched the syringes after refrigerating overnight, then letting them warm back up before pitching, I will post the results of this soon.:rockin:

Well, looks like it works, the blowoff hoses are burping quite aggressively, I cant forsee any problems with this method, If all goes as well as it seems so far, I will be saving 12.00 just about every time I brew.:rockin:

Back