Repitching yeast after "racking" to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

PartTimeJedi

Reaction score
Ok, so I made a newb mistake. I've had a dragonmead belgian tripel clone fermenting for about 3 weeks. The other day I went to bottle and got all the beer into the bottle's (without the caps on) and then took the final gravity instead of doing that before putting it into the bottles. Way to high at 1.048. I decided to poor the beer back into another carboy to let it ferment some more.

I think my mistake to begin with was that I used only 1 vial of yeast instead of 2 like the recipe called for since I was doing a half batch. I'm worried though that I have seriously screwed this batch up. Would it be worth it at this point to pitch another vial of the trappist yeast into the secondary or should I just throw in the towel on this one?

The beer actually tasted really good at this point and I was really excited about it before I took the FG. HELP!!

KevinW

Reaction score
Hmmm, not seeing the logic of putting the beer back inot the fermentor but chances are if you let it go for 3 weeks or so you may not get much more from the same yeast.
Did you keep it at a warm enough temp during the ferment?

Of course, ferment temp, OG, and some other factors are involved, you could probably dry out a bit it with a repitch but starting from scratch may be a better option!

I say go ahead and bottle it, figure out what may have happened so as not to repeat it then re-brew it!

Good luck!

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
Just see what it does, and drink it quickly once it's done - it's probably picked up a good bit of oxygen.

OP
P

PartTimeJedi

Reaction score
At 1.048? Ever heard of bottle bombs?
Exactly. That's why I didn't want to bottle it in the first place. Plus if you read my original post, the recipe I used called for 2 vials of yeast and I only used one since I halved the batch. I realize now that I needed to use both vials to begin with. That's why I want to know if it would be ok to add the other vial at this point.

Bottling it would be stupid at this point because they would all just explode anyway and the batch would for sure be ruined then.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
Pitching rates scale linearly, so you should have been ok with the single vial. But since it's stuck now, making a small starter with a new vial and pitching it at peak activity is one way to get the ferment restarted.

onipar

Reaction score
Pitching rates scale linearly, so you should have been ok with the single vial. But since it's stuck now, making a small starter with a new vial and pitching it at peak activity is one way to get the ferment restarted.
Also, if he's lucky, the new yeast will need the oxygen that got into the solution from pouring, and may not negatively effect the brew. Well, fingers crossed on that one anyway. :mug:

OP
P

PartTimeJedi

Reaction score
Cool. Think I'm just going to try and repitch and see what happens. I guess it's worth a shot at this point.