Repitching Saflager W-34/70

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimJohansen

Reaction score
Hi there,

Any of you that are repitching the Saflager W-34/70? Is it a good candidate for it? How many generations have you done before it starts degrading?

Thanks

/Kim

I've gone 3 generations with it (helles - dunkel - pilsner). No issues whatsoever. Only stopped cos I needed a change. Obviously the usual caveats apply - good sanitation, appropriate pitch rates, don't repitch if the fermentation or flavour of the donor beer is less than perfect.

Agree with the above. I have done 3 generations as well, seems fine, as good as any of the ale yeasts I have repitched. Repitching makes a lot of sense with lagers since you need more yeast for a correct pitch.

I did two generations earlier this year (maibock then basic amber lager) and only tossed it because I didn't want to make another lager right then. I thought the second generation was better than the first. Next time I will keep it a few more to see what I get.

Old-ish thread, I know, but I'm looking into the topic because I'm trying to decide how far to take my 34/70 and figured I would add my 2 cents.

I have made 7 beers from one original packet of 34/70; 4 helles, 2 pilsners, and a marzen. I have made them one after the other...when I rack one lager I make another to use the cake with immediately. My fermentation chamber for lagers only has space for one carboy so I just keep it constantly in use. I'm probably over-pitching but haven't noticed issues. Maybe over-pitching is less of a problem for lagers than ales? None of my local homebrew shops carry this lager yeast (everyone has s-23 for some reason, which I don't like), which is why I have pushed it this far.

I just packaged the 7th gen beer (a helles) and it tastes wonderful to me--clean, crisp, malty, and a little bitter. I can't pick up any off flavor at all. I'm a bit paranoid that the yeast should be mutated by now but I can't find any problem at this point. I think I'll make another helles this week and keep it going to the 8th generation. So, in sum, with proper technique (mentioned above) I'd say that at least 7 gens is possible with 34/70.

Old-ish thread, I know, but I'm looking into the topic because I'm trying to decide how far to take my 34/70 and figured I would add my 2 cents.

I have made 7 beers from one original packet of 34/70; 4 helles, 2 pilsners, and a marzen. I have made them one after the other...when I rack one lager I make another to use the cake with immediately. My fermentation chamber for lagers only has space for one carboy so I just keep it constantly in use. I'm probably over-pitching but haven't noticed issues. Maybe over-pitching is less of a problem for lagers than ales? None of my local homebrew shops carry this lager yeast (everyone has s-23 for some reason, which I don't like), which is why I have pushed it this far.

I just packaged the 7th gen beer (a helles) and it tastes wonderful to me--clean, crisp, malty, and a little bitter. I can't pick up any off flavor at all. I'm a bit paranoid that the yeast should be mutated by now but I can't find any problem at this point. I think I'll make another helles this week and keep it going to the 8th generation. So, in sum, with proper technique (mentioned above) I'd say that at least 7 gens is possible with 34/70.
good to know. Brewing tomorrow and will be repitching 34/70 for the 3rd or 4th time...I was concerned of off flavors/mutation

Back