Repitching Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am wanting to go from an amber ale to IPA on the same pitch of WLP001. I filled the fermenter (I use better bottles) a little high and this resulted a pretty major blow off during fermention due to less head space in the fermenter.

My concern is that if the higher flocculating cells blew off I'm only left with lower flocculating cells in the bottom of the better bottle. Is it OK to re pitch this yeast knowing that possibly I'm only getting the medium and low flocculators?

Thanks,

Mike

You will be fine. When you start the next beer the cells reproduce new ones that could be low or high flocculators. All the cells that you have probably came from a single cell, so are all capable of reproducing the whole range in the family.

You are correct that if you kept using yeast after blow-off, you would be selecting a certain trait in the yeast, and it will change over a few generations, but you really shouldn't have an issue after 1 generation.

Latest posts

Back