Repitching question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blkandrust

Reaction score
so I have decided to repitch some wyeast 1099 into a couple of batches that are stuck due to a drop in temp...I'm obviously aware that the yeasy will need oxygen in order to finish the job,but i'm concerned about putting to much oxygen into my beer as its already fermented somewhat...Is it ok to give a couple of good stirs since im adding fresh yeast?

Have you tried warming the carboys up/swirling them? I'd do that before re-pitching. If it really comes down to it, I'd just add the new yeast in with at most a swirl.

I'd probably just make a starter and pitch it at high krauesen. Either that or pitch enough dry yeast if the beers aren't too far off their FG. To un-stick fermentation you need to pitch enough healthy yeast to finish the job, the O2 is used by yeast to reproduce so you shouldn't need it when you repitch.

HalfPint, what would be a temperature range for warming up the carboy, and how best is this done? Mine is sitting in a battub in an unused guest room; I could easily use warm water to do the job if that is a good method. Thanks.

Have you tried warming the carboys up/swirling them? I'd do that before re-pitching. If it really comes down to it, I'd just add the new yeast in with at most a swirl.

Yes,I warmed them up to 70 and gave them a good swirl or daily for 3 days...no drop in gravity occured...One is a DFH 90 clone which stalled at 1.044.SG was 1.085..I blame that one on the small starter(1 pint)...Should have been at least double that for such a big beer...the other stuck ferm is anIPA that has been stuck at 1.028 for 8 days..

I'd probably just make a starter and pitch it at high krauesen. Either that or pitch enough dry yeast if the beers aren't too far off their FG. To un-stick fermentation you need to pitch enough healthy yeast to finish the job, the O2 is used by yeast to reproduce so you shouldn't need it when you repitch.

Ok.Gotcha...Thank you all for the replies:rockin:

Back