Repitching in Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prez

Reaction score
I'm coming back to brewing after a year off or so. I basically liquidated my brew works when I went on hiatus. I kept the bare minimums to make a batch.

So about two weeks ago, I did a Boring Brown Ale. Promash has the recipe starting SG at 1.039. I didn't check because I no longer have a hydrometer (and to be honest, the nerd factor of this hobby is part of the reason I went on hiatus). Fermentation went normally.

Today I must brew a Grapefruit Rose Saison. I apparently have no choice, others are relying on me. So that Boring Brown has to go to secondary. It's bubbling every 20 secs. Krausen has fallen, but its just a tad frothy at the top. I have a feeling when I jiggled it to move it out of the way last week, I inadvertently started it again.

So, saison today, brown to secondary. I'm going to taste it. If it's not done, I'm going to repitch in secondary. And then I'm gonna go buy another primary for backup when I bottle that brown.

Any thoughts on this plan?

Not sure why you would need to repitch yeast in your secondary.

I don't think your plan is ideal, but if you have no choice, it will probably be fine. If you have the means, purge your secondary with CO2 before you rack.

If you have had a brown ale that had a SG of 1.039 fermenting for 2 weeks at appropriate temperatures, then RDWHAHB. I wouldn't pitch more yeast either. That is a low OG, and it is done.

Let it sit in 2ndary for a few days, cold crash and then bottle that baby.

If for some reason you really think you need some yeast in the secondary, just suck some from the bottom of the primary when you transfer.

If you want someone to brew your beer for you, just go to the store. If not, suck it up and buy a hydrometer.

I guess you need to be a nerd to know that jiggling primary a little bit after fermentation is complete will likely release some disolved CO2 in the beer and create airlock activity - not additional fermentation. Did I explain that dumbed-down enough for the non-nerd community to comprehend?

Let me try again.... Jiggle bottle make gas come out, not wake up yeast.

So about two weeks ago, I did a Boring Brown Ale. Promash has the recipe starting SG at 1.039. I didn't check because I no longer have a hydrometer (and to be honest, the nerd factor of this hobby is part of the reason I went on hiatus). Fermentation went normally.

With an OG that low you should be ok to rack to your secondary without pitching more yeast. Willl you bottle condition or keg?

Krausen has fallen, but its just a tad frothy at the top. I have a feeling when I jiggled it to move it out of the way last week, I inadvertently started it again.

So, saison today, brown to secondary. I'm going to taste it. If it's not done, I'm going to repitch in secondary. And then I'm gonna go buy another primary for backup when I bottle that brown.

It is possible to resuspend the yeast when moving the fermenter. Did the temps change by any chance? A warmer temperature could also cause the yeast to rouse.

You surely realize the brown ale is going to taste young. I've pitched new yeasts into strong ales but I had an OG of 1.12.

By the way, there are some touchy people today. Looks like your "nerd factor" comment struck a nerve or two. Sometimes I use my hydrometer and sometimes I do not. Why? Who cares? I mean really...at the end of the day it's my beer and if i want to monitor the SG fine, if not...fine...

Your plan sounds fine, just skip the repitch...

I'm going to taste it. If it's not done, I'm going to repitch in secondary. And then I'm gonna go buy another primary for backup when I bottle that brown.

Wow ! Never met anyone that could judge fermentation progress by tasting. Hydrometers are generally recommended.

Latest posts

Back