repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

veritas524

Reaction score
My amber ale crapped out from an og of 1.055 to a stalled gravity of 1.025. Been reading up on muntons and from what I've read its infamous for doing this. My last batch using Muntons died at 1.022 from an og of 1.048. I didnt give too much thought to it and bottled anyways, but im kind of irritated with it not dropping. Going to my lhbs today to get stuff for my hefe I'm brewing tomorrow, I was thinking of grabbing a pack of us-05 and tossing it in my carboy to finish it off, thoughts?

It is an extract, pitched @ 80, fermented at 66-72 (Hawaii water bath). Sat in the primary for a week, racked to secondary last Sunday and the gravity hasn't moved since.

Thoughts...

don't use that brand anymore

properly rehydrate the safale before tossing it in and toss in plenty that is a lot of work for yeast to start fermenting again like that

don't waste time with a secondary, let it finish in the primary and sit on the yeast for a couple of weeks at least after you hit your FG, then bottle/keg

don't bottle something that is way off your FG target or you risk gushers or worse, bottle bombs

about the bottle bombs, I've read its pretty standard for muntuns to finish high and bombs aren't an issue as long as its .static when you bottle

Just bought a pack of us-05... rehydrating and then off into the carboy it goes! Should I bother "proofing" this with a tsp of DME or should I just toss it right in? My only concern is the alcohol already in the beer for brand new yeast to go in to

As I recall rehydrating yeast is best done in water only. The alcohol may have some impact but that the amount in your brew is fairly low, well within the tolerance of us-05. The biggest issue is that you pitch enough to finish fermentation as you won't have minimal growth.

I decided just to rehydrate and skipped proofing.... Pitched about 18 hours ago and I have a small layer of krausen and the airlock is going off every five seconds. It would appear to be working just fine.

Air lock is going off and a half inch of foam on top of the beer... looks like this is doing the trick :D

Sure does, thanks for the advice! Waiting now for the mini krausen to fall so I can snag a sample for the hydrometer. Looking to bottle next weekend.

Back