Repitch / Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDL

Reaction score
Making a 1.5L starter for a 3 gallon batch of Oktoberfest and my starter is not getting that normal small foam layer on top after 24 hours. It does look creamier/darker overall though.

I used 150 grams of Light DME and water and boiled it for 10 minutes then cooled and pitched a wyeast pack from May 17 of German Lager. Has been on a continuous stir plate since I pitched.

Question is can I still attempt to pitch it and then if it fails through in some dry lager yeast without issue?

Any other way to tell if the starter worked or not?

Thanks,
Jeff

I made one starter so dont qoute me on this but from observation my starter never had foam but the yeast did reproduce so you should be fine.

Check the gravity of the starter. The stir plate may kick down the krausen, and since it is a lager yeast anyway, there may not be the same krausen level even on an unstirred starter. That pack is on the older side, so it may take a extra time. My experience with lager yeasts has been less than stellar, so I would err on the side of caution and towards overpitching.

Back