Repairing a silver braze on Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Black_Marsh_Brewer

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm looking for opinions here. I have tri-clamp fittings that I have attached to my kettles using silver brazing rod (56% silver), and one of the seams has a pin hole in it that has started to leak. I assume this is because it was filled with flux and the first heating run caused it to clear. I need to fix it, but I don't have any more of the brazing rod and it is very expensive to buy. So I was thinking of these options:

1) try and reflow the brazing seam to see if that seals it, problem is that I cleaned it and I have no more brazing flux.

2) try and fill the hole with 6% silver solder, which I can get.

Anyway, looking for creative options here. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

BMB

I had to do this on a steel to copper connection on a refrigerant compressor recently. The only way I was able to get it to reflow, was to lather on the flux, heat it, flux some more, then the 56% silver braze started to flow nicely and sealed up the pin hole. I don't think the 6% silver will flow like you need it too. I have some high content silver brazing wire I'd be happy to put in an envelope and mail to you if you like, but you'd have to pick up some paste flux.

Did you fix it? If it's a weep hole take a screw driver and a hammer and hit the weep hole it may seal it instead of trying to reflow the braze. There's no pressure behind it so it's not critical like a compressor. Remember your not trying to put the screw driver through it. You just want to move the braze to seal the hole

Alright, so I examine the hole and smacking it was a no-go. it was about the size of a pinhead so it was too big to flatten out. However, I got the flux friday and did a reflow of the braze today and it worked flawlessly. didn't even need any extra brazing wire, it just smoothed right out.

Alright, so I examine the hole and smacking it was a no-go. it was about the size of a pinhead so it was too big to flatten out. However, I got the flux friday and did a reflow of the braze today and it worked flawlessly. didn't even need any extra brazing wire, it just smoothed right out.

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you. I thought you'd be able to reflow the braze that was there, but I offered to send you some wire anyway. The offer still stands if you ever find yourself in need of some.

Back