Repair a Damaged Keg Bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlager

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion to straighten out the outer ring on the bottom of a keg? It appears someone placed some heavy weight and managed to warp that bottom ring. I tried to use a pipe wrench on the lip but I feel I might just cause it to go out of round. I was hoping to use it as a keggle but in my opinion it's a bit too unstable to use it as such.

Keg Bottom 20141116_094507.jpg

Does anyone have a suggestion to straighten out the outer ring on the bottom of a keg? It appears someone placed some heavy weight and managed to warp that bottom ring. I tried to use a pipe wrench on the lip but I feel I might just cause it to go out of round. I was hoping to use it as a keggle but in my opinion it's a bit too unstable to use it as such.

It's probably from being thrown around. You should see how these things are treated.

It's going to be extremely difficult to straighten that. It might be easier to just cut it off.

There was a thread on here where someone straightened one out. They cut the ring into smaller sections and bent them up individually.

Since it's sitting upright on the top, why not simply make it that way? It can still be a boil kettle, upside down.

My MLT is that way- the bottom is actually the top of the keg, and I had the bottom cut out to make it upside down.

There was a thread on here where someone straightened one out. They cut the ring into smaller sections and bent them up individually.

Might have been me, I'll see if I can find the pics.........I know I put them in a thread over @ Northern Brewer forum........I'll scare up a link, but yeah, it can be fixed...........Just takes a little doin'!

Edit: Look here..........

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=114559

Another solution for a keg with a damaged bottom that will just need to sit on a flat surface like a table or floor is to add three stubby "feet" to the base.

Three feet will always sit still without rocking on most surfaces.

I did this on a keggle where I had installed a bottom electric element. Check out the last picture in this thread to see how I did it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/electric-keggle-build-440133/

Back