Reoxygenating 2 Weeks into Primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RLinNH

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I oxygenated my Wort before I added my Wyeast 1968 London ESB to my Red Ale. Fermentation took off as usual within 12 Hours. Here I am, 2 Weeks into the Primary, and I WAS going to tranfer into my secondary. Took a Hydro reading, and I am only at 1.020. I started at 1.056. I should at least be at 1.014, if not around 1.010. So, my question is this. Think I could give the Carboy a good 30 second squirt of Oxygen? This Yeast has a Very High Attentuation, and I should have taken a Hydro reading 7 days into the Fermentation, but I didn't. I just gave the carboy a good thorough "Rolling" Shake, but I think that a little oxygen might help those little Yeasties to Finish up the Job. What do you think?

FYI- I am an Oxygen Noob. This is my first batch with Oxygen. Yup, It sure as hell did help out with the Lag time. And No, I did not use a Starter(I Know, I KNOW, BAD ME, BAD ME!!!:cross: ).

Re-oxygenation is a debated topic, but most agree that it should only be done within 12 - 18 hours of pitching your yeast (it could be longer if you are having a long lag). But once active fermentation begins, adding oxygen is a bad idea.

Instead, you may be better off building up a starter of yeast and oxygenate them really well. Pitch them at the peak of fermentation or slightly after, and see if that helps. It is a desperate effort, but may help you drop a few more points.

I would'nt O2 it again it is bad for the yeast. Get a starter made like pitch it when it fermenting good then pitch it.

By the way, Wyeast 1968 (London ESB) has an attenuation of 67-71% (http://wyeastlab.com/hb_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=22), so you're almost done with that yeast (64% AA right now). If you want to get it down quite low, you may consider pitching a starter of something else (Safale S-04, Nottingham) to get to maybe 1.010-12. Since the London ESB has been used for most of the fermentation, you will have gotten the character that you wanted. I see that you are aiming for 75% AA (with 1.014 as your FG), I'm not sure if that will be attainable without overthrowing it, as in I'm not sure that using another yeast starter, of a different yeast won't get you to lower than that.

Don't bother making a starter, the yeast you use is basicly done, maybe if you warm it up they may work a little longer but most likely they wont.
Just dump a packet of Nottingham right in there. No rehydrating or starter needed. Just dump it on top and close it up. they will do there job and bring it down.
That is only if there is anymore fermentables left (i.e. you did not mash to high)

I use that yeast a lot. It is very flocculant, and has low attenuation. I always rouse it by giving the carboy a good swirl after a week or so. This should get it going again, but your gravity won't drop much more unless you add a different yeast which could interfere with the characteristics of the 1968.

-a.

After what Alf said, looks like I'll just let her sit for another week. I gave the carboy a good Swirling, and hopefully I'll drop a few more points. If not, I'll rack to my secondary and let it sit at 68 degrees for a week, then put the secondary into the basement at 55 degrees for a week, then rack into a Keg.

RLinNH said:
After what Alf said, looks like I'll just let her sit for another week. I gave the carboy a good Swirling, and hopefully I'll drop a few more points. If not, I'll rack to my secondary and let it sit at 68 degrees for a week, then put the secondary into the basement at 55 degrees for a week, then rack into a Keg.

If you add the Nottingham it wont add any "characteristics" to the beer.

If you are going to use Nottingham, do be sure to rehydrate properly. You are just killing or weakening all that yeast otherwise, especially if you pitch into fermented beer. That is a relatively toxic environment to yeast, so if you want to re-initiate fermentation you are going to need a pitch of very healthy yeast.

I have to agree with the common wisdom that you would do way more harm than good by adding o2 this late in the fermentation.

I would warm to 70-75 and shake the hell out of it every few hours for a day or so. Hopefully you will see some fermentation, if not wait a few days and cool down for aging.

Bottle or keg per usual.

Good luck.

Back