Removing zinc plating from a water heater element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lustreking

Reaction score
Over a year ago I bought the parts to build two heat sticks, and I finally got around to putting them together. I bought two of these low watt density 1500W elements.

I used them to brew, and they worked beautifully! After the brew, however, I noticed that the elements were now a dull, darker grey. I also went back and looked at the link that I posted above, and saw that they are zinc plated.

I figured that it's probably not good to have that happen, so I found a post on another beverage hobbyist forum explaining how to remove the zinc.

An overnight soak in a citric acid solution, and a couple minutes with a green scrubby, and the elements are down to the copper.

It's all shiny copper, the darkness, especially near the base, is just shadow. I didn't have time to set up proper lighting this morning.

Sorry, I'm thick. What is citric acid powder? Do I need to visit Hogwarts to get it?

Gila is right. I had a 2 oz bottle that I had bought at my LHBS for a buck and change.

You could probably use diluted lemon juice concentrate from the grocery store.

It's powdered Citric Acid. As opposed to liquid. White. Fluffy. Looks like talcum. derived from the acid in citrus.

HBS's have it.

Wal-Mart has it, a lot of grocery stores have it. It is used when canning fruit. If you dip fruit in a mild citric acid solution, the fruit won't turn brown.

Wal-Mart has it, a lot of grocery stores have it. It is used when canning fruit. If you dip fruit in a mild citric acid solution, the fruit won't turn brown.

Fresh Fruit? I think it's more acetic acid than citric, however that may not make a difference.

So, I'm in the same boat as you.....my nice shiny heating element turned grey after the first use. Is the amount of zinc that came off during the boil going to harm me if I drink my beer?

Is this a case of DRWADHAHB? (Don't Relax...Worry, And Don't Have A HomeBrew);)

By the way, what did the citric acid look like after you removed all the zinc? Just wondering if I should do this....or is it a non issue.
Dan

Acetic acid is vinegar.
Ingredients
Dextrose, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Citric Acid, Silicon Dioxide (Anti-caking). Contains No Sulfites

By the way, what did the citric acid look like after you removed all the zinc? Just wondering if I should do this....or is it a non issue.
Dan

It looked the same as when I started, just like clear water. The element was pretty much black, and that came off with the scrubby.

Thanks,
I will look into mine a little more. My element is mounted in a 5 gal stainless pot. I don't really want to take it out. So I might try to rig up a container to soak the element in with the pot on its side.

Sure feel safer with copper. I didnt know what the element was made of.
Dan

Thanks,
I will look into mine a little more. My element is mounted in a 5 gal stainless pot. I don't really want to take it out. So I might try to rig up a container to soak the element in with the pot on its side.

Sure feel safer with copper. I didnt know what the element was made of.
Dan

I don't think that all of them are plated in zinc. I have seen some that are still nice and shiny (chrome?) after use. If yours is still shiny after brewing with it, I'm not sure that I'd worry about it.

Back